Tikka T3 - Excessive Copper Fouling / Accuracy Issues?

Why would anybody buy a Tikka T3
For me it shoots extremely well, is light (even with a laminated stock), is dependable and is consistent.

Other have their reasons, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Birdhunter 1, my out-of-the-box CZ 550 shoots about a 1/4" 3-shot group at 100 yards with my handloads.

Your Tikka may shoot well enough to please you, and that is all you care about, but I can assure you that with all its cost cutting measures it comes nowhere close to a CZ 550 or late production Winchester Model 70 in consistent accuracy.

The reason why the guy who posted this message is having such a problem with copper fouling in his Tikka T3 is because of a rough bore that is typical of cheaply produced rifles such as his.

I've never seen an out-of-the-box CZ centerfire rifle that couldn't produce 1/2" groups at 100 yards with properly developed handloads, and I own three of them. Finland is NOT a cheap place to produce rifles, and the Tikka is about on the same playing field as the Ruger American rifle that sells for around $400 around here. You get a lot more for your money in the Czech Republic than in Finland. Just a fact, not an opinion.

USGILT, looks like 55 grns at .036 off was your best load. I would back it off .005 at a time & see how it works. My 270 wsm shoots the 130 & 150 bergers around .055 off the lands. As far as tikkas being inferior to other brands, maybe, maybe not. I have three tikkas, two Rem 700, two weatherbys. one a mark 5 & a vangaurd, a cz 550 & one custom built on a rem 700 action. All my tikkas shoot 1/2 inch or better as well as my other rifles, except the CZ which I have'nt shoot a group better than 1.5. In fact im about ready to give up LOL. Not all rifles are the same some just need a little more loving than others.

Thanks Quaddrager,

That will be the next test. Just glad I could get it under an 1". After I play with these components for a while I might just try a different powder and some bergers. Just glad I dont have any detrimental issues or have to scrap the components I already have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.