converting a bolt face.

I think you will enjoy the 338 Edge. I have had 2 of them thru the years, still own my RBROS 338 Edge.
My first Edge was built on a 700 action that was Not Trued, and was a very accurate rifle. It shot 1/3 MOA out to 800 yards.I think most bang for the buck accuracy comes from who does the rifle chambering with no runout.If not on a budget, go the custom action route. Regretted selling it, so had another one custom built by my friend Travis.
There are a couple changes I would make to your list.
If you are on a budget, I would look to buy a used HS Precision LA stock instead of the stock you have on your list. There will be inletting work if you use the Richards stock, and you will have to bed the action.
If you find a used HS stock, for about $2-225.00, it has an aluminum bedding block, so just bolt the barreled action in and start shooting. You can skim coat bed it later, if need be. I put a better recoil pad on my HS stock for about $75.00 as well. Also, put a Defensive Edge adjustable cheek piece on it.
If you have a little extra coin for the project, get the Manners EH-1 stock. It is one of the best stocks I have used. It is light, strong, and very comfortable to shoot. It will need to be pillar bedded thou.
Since you state this is a hunting rifle, I would change the barrel length to 28", which will send the 300 gr pills at 2850 fps, which is more than enough out to a mile.
A good muzzle brake, like a Defensive Edge brake is mandatory on these big 338's.
You will need to decide on barrel contour and optics to determine final weight, but I would try and keep it at the #12-13 range or less, if you are going to carry around the mountains.
I run a Nightforce NXS 50mm objective on mine, and it is more scope than I will ever need from a hunting standpoint. They can be found used at a reasonable price.. I would like to find a lighter optic option, but NXS scopes track perfectly, and have not found anything at this point I would trust as well.

I just reread my post and want to apologize. I'm a bit stressed and feeling a bit negative about how the election is going and it looks like it came through in my post.

A 700 is not a bad choice by any means for a custom. I just wanted you to be aware of the trends. The custom actions wouldn't exist if they didn't bring something to the table. From my previous post it's clear I like them. After the Mark 5 the 700 is my second choice beating out the Vanguard as the only other action I agree with design wise. The Vanguard suffers from a lack of Jewel trigger support. Trublue is right. In my mind truing is not always necessary. Some 700 actions are pretty good right as they come. The bolt body to action fit is tightened up by .004" with the addition of Cerakote inside and out. The barrel and bedding are the most important part of good accuracy. The heavier the barrel the more stabile and able to dampen vibration.

Time for me to shut up or I'll end up writing another LRH book.

A lot of good information. I have used Richard's stocks before with excellent results. I have a 25-06 and 300 Weatherby that both group under 1/2" at one hundred yards. I agree with Trueblue about the amount of work required to fit and bed the Richards stock. I will take a look at the alternatives. Hired Gun, what do you think of the Palma medium profile? I think a lot of people are stressing over this election and it's implications concerning 2d amendment rights. If Hilary is able to appoint the open Supreme Court position with a liberal anti gun justice they could overturn the ruling on individual gun rights.

I like the medium palma. A longer Rem Varmint is okay too. They will make anything you want. Extra length on either end usually doesn't cost anything. We did a 32" Heavy Palma in 300RUM on a Rem 700 repeater and it possibly the most accurate rifle I have ever seen by any smith. Check out the user name Tumbleweed. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/full-custom-300-rum-completed-120045/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/retumbo-h50bmg-32-300-rum-120250/index5.html#post856860

After a little load development he was reporting some very impressive accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.