Bolt face damage?

den

IMG_20180203_110214778~2.jpg

Can this be fixed ? also Is it possibly a saftey issue ? it has been fired many times like this with no noticeable issue other than the mark on the primer ,I keep thinking about having it rebareled with a custom because I really like the action it is a 7wsm but then I remember this , I would really appreciate any advice thank you

Last edited:
View attachment 90111

Can this be fixed ? also Is it possibly a saftey issue ? it has been fired many times like this with no noticeable issue other than the mark on the primer ,I keep thinking about having it rebareled with a custom because I really like the action it is a 7wsm but then I remember this , I would really appreciate any advice thank you

It can be fixed by re-facing the bolt face, But then the head space would be to much. The time to fix this is when a new barrel is installed and head space is based on the newly faced bolt face.

I have seen many bolts "Much worse" work fine and with no safety issues. This is more of an appearance issue that Bothers you and not a safety issue.

It will be fine, so shoot and enjoy and when the time comes to re-barrel
Have your smith fix it.

J E CUSTOM

Could have Gre-Tan rifles bush the firing pin and that would clean that up and not change head space.

Did the same thing to my M70 WSM action when I rebarreled it to 6.5SAUM

thank you guys this was what I was hopping to hear I didn't notice the damage when I bought it was a cheap 7wsm when I wanted one real bad when they were the new rage but I really like the action and the mag oal length vs most other factory sa for short mags probably going to be a 6.5 too hopefully

My 270 bolt face got butchered much worse form some bad Winchester primers a while back. It'll stay that way way until I rebarrel.

Ive come across some bolts that had a serious ring, I assume came from fire cutting of loose primer pockets? It only took 2 or 3 thousandths to get them back to looking nice and new.

I used to run my 7 rum to what I thought were loose primer pockets , I have always used a hand priming too possibly the difference I would be able to notice if they had no reistance IDK, thankfully, luckily I have never seen this from my personal reloading it would scare the s%%% out of me if I seen this after firing one of my reloads or anything for that matter as I want to think a bolt face as pretty tough

Last edited:
My 270 bolt face got butchered much worse form some bad Winchester primers a while back. It'll stay that way way until I rebarrel.
I had the same thing happen on a WSM with some bad Winchester primers that blew out in the corners I fired two shots before I caught it and it trenched a few spots on the bolt face. not to bad, but I still shoot it

Most likely someone did, using high pressure loads as the torch.
Actually the loads were in the normal range. I managed to fall into a bad run of Winchester primers. They replaced the case of primers and offered to replace my bolt, but I did not want to take the gun out of commission coming up on hunting season. The first primer failure did the bulk of the damage. After having one of each five fail I stopped shooting them after a total of 20 rounds. Basically a hole pierced through the radius of the primer cup next to the pocket.

Actually the loads were in the normal range. I managed to fall into a bad run of Winchester primers. They replaced the case of primers and offered to replace my bolt, but I did not want to take the gun out of commission coming up on hunting season. The first primer failure did the bulk of the damage. After having one of each five fail I stopped shooting them after a total of 20 rounds. Basically a hole pierced through the radius of the primer cup next to the pocket.
mine did exactly the same think they burnt through the corner of the primer only had one box of those primers and I ran out of cci250 and tried those but they were not good. same load I shoot now , very mild

That would be a sad, disappointing, way to burn a bolt face. If I burn a bolt face, I want it to be due to redlining the MV. Not a faulty, defective primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.