Considering this Leupold scope ....

KTP

Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm Matte Black, LR Duplex Reticle Scope (110795) Considering this scope for a 300 Win Mag that could see an elk hunt and possibly Alaska bear. Anyone have this model ? Opinions? The low end will help with timber and close shots and 7x for shots out to 300 yards. Has this scope held up?
Thanks

I had the 2.5-8x33 great scope very rugged. The draw back is the small objective lens. They are a lot more money but one of the end models like a 2-12x40 or 50 would be better for elk hunting. elk really like to move when the light is poor.

I agree with Wild Bill, your objective lens should be larger. I would go with 44mm or larger and with power capable to at least 10 power. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I've had a few Leupold 2-7x, and they're a great value for the dollar.

If low light is important to you, the scopes mentioned will serve you better.

The standard 2.5-8x 36 mm can be found relatively inexpensive. The 2.5-8x Mark 4 is a bit better yet, the VX6 2-12x gives up nothing on the low end, and pushes the upper end substantially.

Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm Matte Black, LR Duplex Reticle Scope (110795) Considering this scope for a 300 Win Mag that could see an elk hunt and possibly Alaska bear. Anyone have this model ? Opinions? The low end will help with timber and close shots and 7x for shots out to 300 yards. Has this scope held up?
Thanks
you mite like the vortex viper hs 2.5-10-44 the fov is very wide and the low lite performits is very good to. the eye releaf is good for magnum rifles 4" i have the scope on my 300 win mag. A friend has the leupold vx3i 2.5-8-38 on his 6.5 and the vortex is a little bit better in low lite.

Last edited:
You might have Ring spacing trouble with the 2-7 or the 2.5-8 with the long action 300 win mag. If you're sold on Leupold you might try the vx2 3-9x40 or the vx3 3.5-10x40 for the longer tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.