considering purchasing a meopta meopro scope...

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Robster80, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Robster80

Robster80 Well-Known Member

anyone own a meopro rifle scope??? considering purchasing a 4-12x50 with either the plex or #4 reticle.....ive heard mostly good things about them and they can be bought at a good price...was just wondering anyones experiences or thoughts on these?

2. glewis

glewis Member

I own two of the very model you speak. I'm very glad I stumbled across those. I think they compare very favorably with Zeiss quality at a better price. I also own a couple of Zeiss scopes as well. Once you move up in magnification on a tight budget the Meopro will win out as the cost savings may well be in hundreds of $$s.

The model you've cited will not have a parallax adjustment, but I don't mind that as I'm not faced with long range game situations.

3. Robster80

u have the 4-12? is it the plex reticle? i actually got to look thro the plex reticle version yesterday. love the scope but man those plex croshairs seem a bit thin. thinner than my swaro. sorta makes me consider the 4 reticle but ive always hunted with the plex. kinda woried those crosshairs might fade early

4. glewis

glewis Member

Both my meopros have the #4 reticle, sorry I did not clarify that. I've heard others complain about the fine line quality of the cross hairs even on the #4, but it's never been a problem for me, as the heavy bars on this reticle are enough to zero game at the shorter ranges I hunt, predominately in the woods hunting trails.
    My biggest gripe about these scopes is the finicky metal turret caps that can be a pain to reseat once you adjusted the scope at the range.

5. Robster80

could a 4 reticle work well at longer ranges tho, such as 150-300 yds? i was hoping the plex reticle would have thicker crosshairs because ive heard for the money these scopes r hard to beat and i like the robust design and big eyebox. i think the best plex ive seen is the conquest. one other concern is my bolt hitting the eyebox. right now i have a 50mm scope mounted on a small dnz mount. works well but its gonna b close i think with the meopta

6. glewis

glewis Member

At those yardages I guess it depends on the amount of light as to how the thickness of the crosshair will be affected. One of my 4x12x50s sits on a TC Icon with medium rings. The Icon has the 60 degree bolt throw. The other sits on an HB Howa varminter with medium rings. I assume this rifle has the same bolt throw as a wthby vanguard. Neither setup has a bolt throw problem. A buddy of mine shoots kimbers and he uses the 3x9x42 with no problems. You raise a very good question and you'll need to get that resolved for sure prior to purchase if your ordering the scope to come to you. Good luck.