considering a .284 win build

bbaley

Hi all,
I am considering a .284 Winchester build, it would likely be custom via a gunsmith who built my last rifle.

This would be a multipurpose hunting rifle, but I am interested in the cartridge as a long range target round as well, meaning if I find I like it I might end up building a long range tactical/target on the same.

I should mention I reload for 0.308 for medium range (300-1000 yard) - so load development is a primary interest and concern.

I am currently considering the .284 for a variety of reasons, such as the ability to shoot heavier bullets (180gr VLDs, etc), SD and BC of the 7mm bullets, and possibility of reasonable velocity for hunting rounds without having to resort to hot loads.

I was also looking at 7mm-08 and 7mm-08 AI, but it "seems" like I would have to push it pretty hard, and I would rather have longer barrel and brass life.

I am not opposed to a 10lb gun (total, scoped, strap) to mitigate recoil. I once lugged my 18lb tactical .308 Mule Deer hunting for 4 days and regretted it to the tune of shoulder blisters, but conversely I have shot my friends 6.5lb 300 win mag a number of times and can tell I would never get past the flinch.

My questions are:
1. what action would you choose ? my current actions are Savage and Rem 700 but am open to others. Seems like LA is the way to go to best use all (heavy/long) bullet options.

2. Brass seems to be an issue. pretty much only Win brass or neck up Lapua 6.5x284. am I missing alternatives ?

3. Would you go completely custom or can you think of existing models/actions from donor rifles worth having barreled/accurized/etc ?

4. real-world load info seems hard to find, except for LR target in long barrels (30") and pure calcs (JBM, etc) - what is real expected performance with bullets such as 140 Nosler Partition and 160 Accubond, etc. in a hunting length barrel? (22-24")

Appreciate your opinions and input.

Hi all,
I am considering a .284 Winchester build, it would likely be custom via a gunsmith who built my last rifle.

This would be a multipurpose hunting rifle, but I am interested in the cartridge as a long range target round as well, meaning if I find I like it I might end up building a long range tactical/target on the same.

I should mention I reload for 0.308 for medium range (300-1000 yard) - so load development is a primary interest and concern.

I am currently considering the .284 for a variety of reasons, such as the ability to shoot heavier bullets (180gr VLDs, etc), SD and BC of the 7mm bullets, and possibility of reasonable velocity for hunting rounds without having to resort to hot loads.

I was also looking at 7mm-08 and 7mm-08 AI, but it "seems" like I would have to push it pretty hard, and I would rather have longer barrel and brass life.

I am not opposed to a 10lb gun (total, scoped, strap) to mitigate recoil. I once lugged my 18lb tactical .308 Mule Deer hunting for 4 days and regretted it to the tune of shoulder blisters, but conversely I have shot my friends 6.5lb 300 win mag a number of times and can tell I would never get past the flinch.

My questions are:
1. what action would you choose ? my current actions are Savage and Rem 700 but am open to others. Seems like LA is the way to go to best use all (heavy/long) bullet options.

2. Brass seems to be an issue. pretty much only Win brass or neck up Lapua 6.5x284. am I missing alternatives ?

3. Would you go completely custom or can you think of existing models/actions from donor rifles worth having barreled/accurized/etc ?

4. real-world load info seems hard to find, except for LR target in long barrels (30") and pure calcs (JBM, etc) - what is real expected performance with bullets such as 140 Nosler Partition and 160 Accubond, etc. in a hunting length barrel? (22-24")

Appreciate your opinions and input.

Also, I have read and heard a variety of commentary on whether the AI version would mitigate any issues with the rebated rim. seems 50/50 on opinions as to whether this is even an issue - I only ask because of it being a hunting rifle, for reliability (extraction) reasons.

Things to consider:
1. .284 brass is as scarce as hens teeth. It is rumored that Winchester has promised production before the end of the year - I don't put much stock in rumors.
2. .284 loads aren't that difficult to find. I have a dozen of 'em. Of course, they work well in my rifle and your rifle will see them differently but with Alliant RL-17, H4831 and some other powders, load development is really no problem.
3. I'm a Rem. guy so a trued Rem 700 action would be my choice.
4. You bullet choices are somewhat modest, IMO. I'd look at 180 Berger VLDs for long range. Of course, that'll depend on the twist rate you want to use.
5. To custom or not to custom ... "custom" simply means it isn't an off the shelf production model. So anything you put together with parts, whether they're from an old gun or factory new, will be custom. Get a good solid action, have it trued (if it isn't already) have your gun smith screw it onto the barrel of your choice and drop it into a stock you like.
6. You might be happier with a 7STW ....

and yes, as mentioned, the 180 Berger VLD is something I want to be able to shoot with it.

The miller stability with 1 1:9 twist @2850 is 1.49 ? that seems acceptable

I am not very impressed with the .284 WIN. If you are going with a long action why don't you look into something like the 7mm REM. Mag will be a lot easier to get components for and can scream those 180s a lot quicker than that .284 can even dream of. You could load mild charges in the 7MAG and still beat the .284 with it. You can also go to Cabelas and get yourself a brand new Remington 700 Long Range rifle chambered for 7mmRM for about $700 without the hassle of having a custom rifle built. Just some thought.

There are so many .284/7mm chamberings, it boggles the mind.
IIWM
Go long action
Go with a cartridge that has a trim to length of 2.6 or less so long bullets can have optimal seating depth and fit mag length.
Go 8twist.

After that choices depend on choices. Magnum or not. Belted or not. Etc...

Oh my... another cartridge to tweak on?
could you elaborate on why ? sorry I have done no research yet on this one.

Push them through a 26 - 28 inch barrel and you'll find that no other 7mm cartridge will match the maximum muzzle velocities available with the 7mm STW. It routinely produces velocities over 3400 fps with 140 - 150 grain bullets and even 160+ grain bullets achieve MV above 3300 fps and you'd still be in the 3100 fps+ range with 180 grain bullets. That means excellent accuracy beyond 1000 yards.
Brass is fairly easy to come by and it seems to like just about anything you can feed it. Hornadys, Bergers, Noslers, Barnes; you name it and the STW just takes them in stride. Just about any slow burning powder will produce good performance.
Some shy away from it because it tends to have a relatively short barrel life. But that's a small price to pay for the performance available in this cartridge.
My current "go-to" rifle is my .284 Winchester. It'll compete with anything else on the range at 1K. But if I had an opportunity to build another rifle it'd be a 7STW. I scored a nice prong horn at 675 yards a couple of years ago with a borrowed 7STW .... one shot dead center on the aim point. That was enough to convince me of it's value.

I agree w/ jud. I have a 284 for F-class, but if I were to have one for hunting it would be a featherweight rig on a short action shooting 140s. Otherwise I would shoot a true LA cartridge. If you want just a little more killing distance go w/ the 7rm, or even more 300wm.

If you wanted more on the 7mm platform: 7-300, or 7stw. But personally I'd be looking at the 7rm or 300wm. The 300wm can do everything the 7rm can and more.

I'd go w/ the rem700 unless there is a strict budget then the savage w/ a criterion barrel, my 280 shoots like a house fire. I would get a quality barrel blank or find a low round count barrel. I haven't seen any 284 barrels here nor anywhere so you may have to get new from in stock or wait several months.

What are your requirements?

One always reads how the longer/heavier bullets take up to much case capacity in the 284 Win. I don't think the case is ideal for the longer bullets.

That said, I'll be using my 284 Win shortly on a MI deer hunt. Yes, brass is scarce now, the 7mm-08 is almost matched with the 284 on performance.

In a LA, 280/AI if you want a 473 bolt face, 7 RM/STW/7-300 for a 532. Especially if you want to sling the 180 Berger. Even in a LA, 2850/180/.284 combo is going to be pushing it, hard. Maybe with R17 which is reportedly temp sensitive. I run 52g of H4350 with a 175smk at 2760 and see light ejector swipes on hot days. I used to run a custom 7RM with the 180 smk and 63g of R22 at 2960 and it was an easy load. Why push to the max when there are easier ways to achieve what you want?

I run a 284 in a LA as a comp gun and it shoots fantastic but, I wouldn't do another one. If I am shucking the long bolt throw there is no reason to not go to a 280. Far easier to find brass for, no necking up, neck turning, cutting "donuts," plus a good amount of powder increase.

The Win brass is unobtainium right now and 3 e-mails from Win/Olin tells me they are in no hurry to start another run.

Good luck

If seaman: yes I was specifically thinking the 284 Winchester as mentioned

Since this will be a custom build, choose your favorite standard bolt face long action. Any donor 280, 280 or 30-06.

An 8tw. Choose your favorite barrel. I am very pleased with the Benchmark but all the others will perform. Pac-Nor, Lilja, Hart, Krieger, Bartlien and more. I'm a fewer lands is better guy but that's me.

Tuned trigger, nice stock or even a Boyds.

Bed, float go.

Game to 1000 would be reasonable. Paper or steel to 1500.

For what its worth:

I have an HS precision built Remington 700 SA with a 23" barrel in 284 win.

It is a wonderful gun (and light) and I have shot 120g bullets in the 3000-3100 FPS range. 140's at 2900+ FPS. I don't think I really shot anything in the 150-160g range, but I did work up a load with the 168 berger and velocity was about 2650 FPS.

I have gone back to the lighter bullets and it is now setup to match the lighter bullets to the reticle in the scope and its only good to 600 yards now, but if fills a good niche in my arsenal.

If you want to shoot the long bullets do not build it on a short action. I loaded the 168 berger to the rifling and it was way too long to fit the mag (so it was a single shot that I had to even pull the bolt in order to extract unfired rounds).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts