Compensators on powerful handguns?

engineer40

I've been toying with the idea of either:

1 - Getting a 460S&W Mag revolver to match the rifle I already have in that cartridge. Most models have built in compensators.

Or

2 - Buying a conversion for one of my pistols to upgrade from 45acp to 460 Rowland. Requires a compensator for the slide to work correctly.

Do top ported handgun compensators increase muzzle volume in the same way a rifle muzzle brake would? From memory, I think the 460S&W Mag can operate up to 65K PSI and the 460 Rowland up to 40K PSI maybe. I think either one of these would be detrimental to my hearing if I had to shoot either without hearing protection at some point.

Thoughts?

I've been toying with the idea of either:

1 - Getting a 460S&W Mag revolver to match the rifle I already have in that cartridge. Most models have built in compensators.

Or

2 - Buying a conversion for one of my pistols to upgrade from 45acp to 460 Rowland. Requires a compensator for the slide to work correctly.

Do top ported handgun compensators increase muzzle volume in the same way a rifle muzzle brake would? From memory, I think the 460S&W Mag can operate up to 65K PSI and the 460 Rowland up to 40K PSI maybe. I think either one of these would be detrimental to my hearing if I had to shoot either without hearing protection at some point.

Thoughts?
Without hearing protection, damage to your hearing will happen whether it has a brake or not

Thanks, and I do realize that. Whenever at the range I double up on my hearing protection, ear plugs and muffs. But either one of these handgun options may need to be fired someday while not under ideal circumstances and when not prepared with hearing protection.

I'm asking more about the difference between uncompensated vs compensated handguns in regards to the volume increase.

Thanks!

While I advocate wearing hearing at all times when shooting. I have shot a 460 S&W 10" without hearing protection under hunting conditions. Did it cause hearing loss I bet it did. I was shooting across wide open prairie. 2 years later I shot a deer with my 44 in cattails no break no hearing protection. That shot dropped me to my knees. That has been manny years ago and my ear still rings from that shot. With as cheap as electronic hearing protection is these days if there is a firearm anywhere near you you should be wearing them. Wish I would have followed this advice 30 years ago. Young and invincible I guess.

Jet the 460 they are a hoot and they put deer down quick.

Last edited:
Huuu what did you say? Constant BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in the ears is what happened to me from age 13. Shot 10 boxes of ammo through a 22lr revolver one day without hearing protection. For about a week everything sounded like I was hearing while under water. It did not help things by shooting a 357 mag 4" barrel revolver while sitting inside a car but sometimes you don't have a choice in life and death situations. In my experience compensators, muzzle brakes or porting does increase the sound coming back at me. With those BIG BORE hand cannons it really don't matter THEY ARE LOUD.

Years ago, Clark Custom Guns converted a Colt Gov't 45ACP for me to 460 Rowland. I sent entire pistol to them for accurizing package, etc. Plus I ordered 1,000 rounds ammo too.
Came equipped naturally w/compensator, and handles real well. Still lets you know when you let one rip down range, but very accurate shooter. Its is top ported, and when firing, especially closer to dark, throws a flame almost a foot tall.
Getting ready to buy some kind of red dot for it, one that will hold up to recoil.

Personally, I do not notice difference if top porting is louder than no top porting. I shot a Freedom Arms 454, one was ported, the other was not, and noise level was close to same(wearing ear plugs only). Big difference in recoil though.

I always use plugs and electronic muffs when shooting my S&W 500mag. When I do every one on the range turns to see what has happened. Has different porting for lead and copper bullets. Same level of noise with either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.