Comparison of popular 6.5's

elkaholic

Recently, an independent tester tested these four similar 6.5's on the same day using the same components and submitted these results on another forum. He loaded each to pressure and determined the max load to be under where the same pressure signs appeared.
He is a respected, and very knowledgeable member of this, and several other shooting forums.
Here is what he found.
Screenshot_20221217-130914.png

Last edited:
So the hassle free route would be the 6.5 SAUM?

Seems Lance went to a lot of work. Good job and thanks for the tests.
I wonder what throat/freebore, neck tension, and seating depth factor into the fps results?

Last edited:
So the hassle free route would be the 6.5 SAUM?

Seems Lance went to a lot of work. Good job and thanks for the tests.
I wonder what throat/freebore, neck tension, and seating depth factor into the fps results?
Not sure I would say the "hassle free route is the 6.5SAUM". I would say the PRC is the least hassle. But also has the lowest velocity of the bunch.

The PRC has more and better brass choices (Lapua, ADG, Peterson, Nosler, Hornady). Therefore, the PRC/SI does too. With only a fire forming to get significant gains. Then there is the SS, which has headstamped brass, comes formed (but does need necked down from 7mm to 6.5mm), and fits best in a true SA.

The 6.5PRC and 6.5PRC/SI are loaded to max mag box length of 2.980" COAL/2.290"CBTO. That is a .072" & .074" jump to lands.

The 6.5SS and 6.5SAUM were seated to max Accurate WSM mag length, or 2.958" COAL/2.268" CBTO. The 6.5SS jump is .028" (where I found it most accurate previously). Not sure what the SAUM jump is, since it is at max mag length, it doesn't really matter.

Neck tension is .0015" on all rounds. All cases freshly annealed. Set by a .263" expanding mandrel and allowing for springback.

Last edited:

Recent Posts