6.5 Sherman recoil comparison

TC338

For those of you who have firsthand experience with the 6.5 Sherman, what is the recoil like? How does it compare say to a 308 win? Would a brake be needed or even warranted? Rifle will be a Remington 700, B&C M40 stock, sendero or slightly lighter contour barrel at 26".

The only reason I have a brake on mine is I have become accustom to seeing the impact in the scope.
The recoil is real close to .270/30-06 with equal weight bullets and rifles.
Cliff

The only reason I have a brake on mine is I have become accustom to seeing the impact in the scope.
The recoil is real close to .270/30-06 with equal weight bullets and rifles.
Cliff

Thanks CliffM, I'll probably go with a brake then, I'd really like to be able to see my shots, especially when hunting by myself.

Going from a 300 Wby to the 6.5 Sherman made shooting fun again, adding a brake was the icing on the cake:D
Cliff

Yep! There's still seems to be a misconception (IMHO) that the sole purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce felt recoil. However, a well designed MB (and there are plenty to choose from) reduces the muzzle rise allowing to see targets on impact ... and it's PRICELESS!lightbulb:):Dgun)

When I had my 6.5 Sherman, I had a brake on my 24'' barrel and could spot my shots at 40 yards shooting 150gr Matrix VLDs at 3180'. I don't think the brake is needed so much for recoil, but it sure makes seeing what you're shooting at if you're alone and not filming a lot easier.
I shot without it on the range and threw it on when I went out in the woods =)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.