Comments on Delisting Wolves

Buffalobob

The U.S Fish & Wildlife Service is asking for comments on delisting wolves in Idaho and Montana and allowing hunting. They are taking comments electronically so you can send them by email. It is an opportunity to speak up in favor of hunting a species that we have not been able to hunt in the lower 48 states for a long time.

I spent 30 plus years of my life enforcing and promulgating regulations concerning rivers and fish. I would offer these thoughts.
I suspect that the delisting will be appealed by Defenders of Wildlife (or others) on the basis that the State and the hunters cannot be trusted to be "responsible managers". If you decide to comment on the proposal I would suggest that you put your best foot forward as a hunter and as a conservationist and leave the rabid foaming at the mouth comments for this forum because the DoW will use your comments against those of us who would like to hunt wolves. Wyoming continues to take a non-conservation approach and will not be allowed to manage wolves.

A simple statement such as " I support delisting wolves and using hunting as a management tool." will be satisfactory.

They are also going to hold public meetings so you can go and say something. If you have never done any public speaking then just write a couple of sentences on a piece of paper and get up and read it and then sit down. You do not need to be a PhD biologist to exercise the right to speak your opinion.

I once had a brilliant idea and decided to make a rule based upon that idea. We received approximately 10,000 emails from the Sierra Club members from all over the world. It so badly jammed up our email system that we had to do a scan and divert on incoming emails to deflect them into a separate compartment. I went forward anyway and did what I believed to be correct. The issue was recently ruled on by the U.S. Supreme Court ( I lost at the Supreme Court level- they actually said it was a good idea but just illegal). I suspect that there will be a similar campaign by the groups opposed to delisting and hunting. Consequently, it will become a numbers game and there will be little concern other than counting the proponents and opponents. If there is enough hunter support it will go forward. It does not matter where you live if you comment by email.

Here is a link to the Idaho news release

Idaho news release

The Federal Register Notice can be found here. I know it is boring to read but try to read before going to speak.

Delisting proposal

You can send your email comments to this address

[email protected]

Remember to include ''RIN number 1018–AU53'' in
the subject line of the message.

This is an opportunity to be a part of a solution. It is kind of like voting. No matter who wins you still won't get what you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck

Public meetings start tomorrow.

February 27, at the Holiday Inn Cheyenne, Cheyenne, Wyo.
February 28, at the Plaza Hotel, Salt Lake City.
March 1, at the Jorgenson's Inn & Suites, Helena, Mont.
March 6 --Idaho
March 7, at the Pendleton Red Lion Inn, Pendleton, Ore.
March 8, at the Oxford Inns and Suites, Spokane Valley, Wash.

fox news had a story on this yesterday talk to some ranchers and conservationist had both sides of the issue also mentioned the hunter who lost his dogs to the wolfs

Newspaper article on the public hearing held in Idaho.

[ QUOTE ]
Updated: 11:19 a.m. ET March 7, 2007
BOISE, Idaho - Pitting memories of wolves howling at the moon against dead cattle and failing ranches, more than 150 people drove from across the state Tuesday evening to voice their opinions on the proposed removal of gray wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains from the federal endangered species list.

Backers of the delisting process say the wolf recovery effort in the northern Rockies has been a wild success, and it's time to take the animals off the list before they do damage to the state's livestock industry and wild elk herd.

But most of the testimony was against removing the animals from the list, calling it a politically driven decision that would undo all the progress made in the state over the last 11 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have time to send in your emails.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.