Colt ar .223 handloading and coal

rogerstv

I recently purchased the OAL gauge and bullet comparator. While checking my Colt AR, I came up with extremely lengthy measurements. Max COAL of .223 Rem is 2.26".

Hornady 53 gr. Match HP 2.439
Hornady 55 gr. VMax 2.3375
Sierra 50 gr. Spitzer 2.339
Nosler 53 gr. Varmageddon 2.48
Nosler 80 gr. Custom Competition 2.533

My plan is to handload seeking the bullet jump that this firearm prefers. Hornady recommends 0.020 to 0.040. I loaded and shot most of the above bullets using a COAL measurement of slightly under the max. This was before I bought the gauge. My rifle preferred the Varmageddon which is the bullet and powder load I want to refine.

Using my measurements above, the Varmageddon is jumping 0.22+ inches. Is this normal for an AR? I called Colt. The CS Rep appeared to have no idea regarding the subject.

Last edited:
You might try posting this question in the AR-15 sub-forum.

I'm not overly knowledgable about your question but I suspect Colt's was using a chamber similar to that used in the M-16. The chamber would have more generous/forgiving dimensions to keep the gun running.

You'll likely be limited to the OAL you can fit in the magazine.

Max SAAMI length for the cartridge is 2.26" but that is just for uniformity across manufactures of barrels, brass, ammo-- you can always load longer if you like.

..You'll never reach lands in most off the shelf AR's regardless of cartridge. Mag length will limit you. GI alum mags will allow a bit longer than magpul poly mags or A few other options would be to buy stainless steel ASC mags, you should be able to load out to 2.295 - 2.30" with those or buy or make a "cut out/windowed" mag for loading out to 2.36", if you really want to go extreme you can machine the front of the Magwell to allow 2.4" and still load up to 12 rounds in a windowed mag-- can also run a single shot/fixed follower for almost "unlimited" length.

My suggestion is to try loading within mag length limitations first to see how accurate you can get it--- my 1994 colt h-bar will shoot in the .3-.4's with 55 grain nosler bt bullets with my reloads loaded to within mag length limitations -

The bullet that your rifle likes will somewhat depend on the twist rate and what chamber also (223rem, 223 wylde, 5.56 nato) 1:9, 1:8, or 1:7 -- you may even find older barrels with a 1:12, and a few with 1:14

Last edited:
Just about all the Colt as well as the other "MilSpec" equivalents tend have to have generous jumps to the lands, consistent with the values you are seeing. When using conventional bullet shaped bullets(non-VLD), I have personally found little variation in optimizing accuracy by tuning seating depth and have generally used recommended COAL(Sierra/Hogdon, etc) manuals for the given bullet, making sure I have sufficient clearance in my magazine. My go to load for my 20" 1:9 HBAR, at .5MOA /3000FPS in my Colt HBar is 69gr SMK(seated 2.255 COAL), Varget, CCIBR4, Lapua Brass. I have also had excellent results with the 55gr Hornady and Sierra Varmint offerings using Varget.

if you truely want some accuracy, buy a bbl that will allow touching the lands with mag length ammo.
that is what i did.
i love guys that claim .3 from mil spec bbls
bring your money

Thank you all for the replies. It is helpful to know my measurements are common for mil-spec.

My rifle shoots decent. The factory trigger needs replaced. Way too much travel. I plan to work up a few hand loads for the Colt and see how well it will shoot. I will try the recipe above. I am on the fence whether to put money into a pencil barreled mil-spec Colt or build a higher quality bull barreled firearm.

In my 223 rem or 223 wild chambered AR's a .75moa average group size for 10 five shot groups 50 total rounds is doing very well. .3moa maybe once in while not consistently however not going to happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.