Colorado Unit 65 1st rifle season, 1st Elk Hunt

Crossfire64

Ok friends, I've followed this forum long enough to know NOT to ask where should I go. So I want to focus more on strategy. I've learned enough to know to get away from the roads and I've got what appear to be good possible sites narrowed down to about 75 locations or so. It appears that the 1st rifle season is a bit of an enigma. The rut is at it's end & so are the bugles so we don't expect to locate Elk through vocalizations. We also expect the Elk to be transitioning from higher to lower elevations (based on weather & pressure) but are we still going to be able to glass up a few above timberline or are they going to be primarily in the timber rendering optics less effective. I know that burn areas are areas to target but this unit doesn't appear to have any recent ones. Are beetle kill areas similar, cause there appear to be several. We also have one cow tag & one either sex tag. while taking a nice bull would be fantastic we'll both be thrilled coming back to Ohio with a couple cows.
I'm sure some of your responses will prompt more questions since I don't know what I don't know, And of course while I don't expect any one to share their sure fire honey holes, I'll certainly love to hear about them.
Thanks in advance

Crossfire, please see my post in the nearby "...OTC last minute" thread. You guys are asking similar questions. I also have a useful link there with material you can look over.

All seasons have their ups and downs. You usually won't freeze to death first season, sometimes the elk will still bugle and some years you get a foot of snow. Downside is it can be hot and dry, and they will hang in the black timber and not be real active. You also often won't have snow to see tracks in. Another good things is though, if you can find those cool, secluded springs, they'll often have elk (where a few weeks later, with snow, they will have moved on).

You don't have to see above timberline or have beetle kill to see elk. There are plenty of meadows and clearings on nearly every mountain. As I mention, try to see as many as possible and watch for a long time early and late. They won't usually be in large open ones, but the smaller, secluded ones nearby (and go into the large ones at dark).

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts