1st season colorado

chad44

I drew a 76 1st rifle tag. This is my first time hunting elk with a rifle. I've always gone archery. Am I correct in assuming they will still be up high like in archery season? And I'm assuming I could get some rutting activity. Correct?
Thanks

Of course every unit will be different, but I talked to my landlord who lives in gmu 18 near Grand Lake and he said they haven't heard the elk make any noise at all yet. I am thinking there is a good chance that they will still be rutting in the beginning of October.

A lot just depends on the weather as far as how high they will be. Last year, for example, there was a pretty good storm that rolled through Colorado right before first season, sending a lot of the elk to lower elevations. As far as the rut goes, they will probably still be rutting, but don't expect to hear a ton of bugling. Elk are smart, as soon as they start hearing rifles ripping shots off, they tend to get pretty quiet.

I heard a few elk bugling this last weekend in Rocky mtn national park. Nothing serious though, just some small bulls.

The elk will still be in the rut during the 1st rifle season. Although the best hunting is going to be saturday and sunday. After two days of shooting the elk will be pretty quite monday and tuesday. Wednesday they'll respond to calling again, but you'll be hard pressed to get them out of the their cover. The 2nd season you can usually hear them bugling, but the herds will have been split up from all the hunting pressure. Although all that said, I have called in bulls during both the 1st and 2nd rifle season, so don't rule it out.

The word from Grand Lake is that the Elk still haven't started bugling with any urgency. A good sign for 1st rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.