Colorado Just Curious

mixerdriverm

Hey everyone, just curious what some of your units are that yall hunt. I hunt unit 35 the Bull Gulch Wilderness area everyear with pretty good sucess.

I hunted the Nov 11-16 rifle season in Unit 2 this year, and that worked out for me (left over cow tag).

The CFO and I did the November 12-16 in area 201 looking for cows. We saw everything but cows. 150 deer and 200 antelope and pushed a batcher herd of 30 plus bulls around for over an hour. They could care less that we walked and drove within 200 yards of them. Too bad it takes 12 years to draw an either sex tag in that area. We had a great time hunting together again after her 30 year hiatus. No meat is not a problem since we have 4 Wyoming antelope in the freezer.

visigoth,

Myself and a firend plan to hunt GMU 2 in the fall of 2009. We usually hunt in 54 but the Elk numbers are way down and its getting too physical. I have been in Unit 3 but not 2. Do you have any tips on hunting there that you would liek to share ?

I have been told that the hunting is good along the Little Snake River. Did you road hunt or stake out on a high point and glass. We are thinking about staying in Craig as I dont want to drag a trailer all the way up there. I am expecting that the shots could be long. What distances would you expect to be prepared for ? I belong to the Colorado Rifle Club in Byers so I can practice at long ranges. I dont like to shoot aboev 400 yards but I am good up to that distance off a bipod.

Thanks

Unit 2 has lots of BLM land, so we just camped up there - get a few BLM maps and you'll be set. We were close to the Wyoming border, in the more north west corner of the unit. The little snake river area was much farther to the east, but that also looks like a good place to hunt, with more possibilities. I think the more southern migration route is probably more productive. Due to the warm weather this year, there just weren't many animals that had moved west. We hunted the draws and looked for animals that were moving between their bedding areas and where they were feeding, mostly in areas with lots of pinion pines. In these areas, they seem to like hanging around the draws and feeding on top of the mesas. There weren't too many high locations to glass from.

The shot I made this year was 475 yards. We had spooked a small herd off the side of a draw, and then pushed them into a feeding area on top of a mesa. I wanted to get closer, but there was litterally no cover. I crawled along until I could find a nice location to shoot from, lased them and then dropped a nice cow. The lack of cover in these areas makes it hard for any shots under 200 yards. I would get some shooting sticks, and practice with those also.

Funny story: We didn't see any additional animals for 4 days. We were all over trying to spot another herd. On the last day, we were heading back to camp, and just as I turned to where our camp was, we spotted a nice herd. I actually just drove my truck into our camp site. My friend had a nice 340 yard shot, but jerked the trigger and wound up missing. It turned out that the herd had actually walked through our camp site.

Hi visigoth,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you had a good hunt. I am heading to the range today to test some new handloads. I just started handloading this month. Hopefully, I will have it down by hunting season and the practice will help. I have steady sticks but I usually shoot off a bypod. Of course there are time when that too low because of vegetation so I will have to practice both ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.