Cold Bore Zeroing

It's certainly a great idea and don't forget to shoot all that oil out also....once I sight mine in and clean it, I fire two shots to foul it and let it cool outside in about 40 degree air, then I fire a shot...there's not usually all that much difference but it depends on each rifle, always a good idea.

Sometimes when I know I'm going to want the rifle barrel to cool all the way down, I'll bring up to 4 rifles to the range and put up 4 separate targets. Otherwise it feels like I'm wasting too much time for the barrels to cool off.

Unfortunately I have to admit more than once, I have shot the wrong rifle at the wrong target... or at the very least, shot the wrong load at the wrong target. lol...

You are not alone there. Done that too.

Big careful on days when I have similar cases in different calibers. 300RUM on the same day I am shooting 338 Egde.

I have found pistols a little more affordable (they don't need scopes!) and almost as much fun. A couple old smith revolvers pass the time pretty well waiting for a barrel to cool.

Sometimes when I know I'm going to want the rifle barrel to cool all the way down, I'll bring up to 4 rifles to the range and put up 4 separate targets. Otherwise it feels like I'm wasting too much time for the barrels to cool off.

Unfortunately I have to admit more than once, I have shot the wrong rifle at the wrong target... or at the very least, shot the wrong load at the wrong target. lol...
Same here. I'll also break out the hand guns and AR's just to keep my skills in tune while letting the bolt guns to cool down.

As for shooting the wrong target, I promise you aren't alone there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.