Cold bore testing

I've done similar testing but not as precise as yours.

I have access to a 600 yard range with steel. Last fall I stopped 3 times in 4 days firing one shot cold bore at a 6 inch gong.

Rang the steel all three times without dry firing and running my scope back to zero after each shot.

Read the thread and look at dates.......You are guys are answering a post from 2017....... corey006 Bumped it today with a different test, and different questions.

I read it again (And the update was still up for discussion) and the problem is still the same. "Cold bore or not" so many gave there opinion as to what they do. Some times old post are good to bring up in case the newer members have not seen the topic discussed before.

Everyone has different experiences and we can learn from others experiences. As to the HBN coatings on bullets I tried them and found that velocity was faster but accuracy was not as good and SD's degraded. also I could not tell when a barrel was truly clean because of the coating deposits left in the barrel and had to rely on my bore scope. so I returned to clean barrels and conventional bullets with no coating for best accuracy and SD's.

Just my experiences

J E CUSTOM

Don't take it wrong......It was looking like the new bump question was getting lost over what was wrote years ago.....and I hoped it wouldn't get over looked.

Don't take it wrong......It was looking like the new bump question was getting lost over what was wrote years ago.....and I hoped it wouldn't get over looked.

No apology necessary. It is a discussion and we can all learn from it.

I personally don't do test at distances that can alter the results due to shooter error. But his testing was interesting and showed greater error
than a close range test.

If I could, I would do all of my accuracy test using a machine rest to completely eliminate human error. (I have plenty of that to deal with)
But any test is productive if it shows a difference in what you are trying to find out and narrows it down.

J E CUSTOM

I read it again (And the update was still up for discussion) and the problem is still the same. "Cold bore or not" so many gave there opinion as to what they do. Some times old post are good to bring up in case the newer members have not seen the topic discussed before.

Everyone has different experiences and we can learn from others experiences. As to the HBN coatings on bullets I tried them and found that velocity was faster but accuracy was not as good and SD's degraded. also I could not tell when a barrel was truly clean because of the coating deposits left in the barrel and had to rely on my bore scope. so I returned to clean barrels and conventional bullets with no coating for best accuracy and SD's.

Just my experiences

J E CUSTOM
If we run with the theory that rehasing old threads is a waste of time the equivalent would be that we should never discuss the history of science and technology or how and why those living in the eras advanced from each step to the next.

That which is true and educational will always be of value especially to all of the people new to the sport who are just poking their toes in the water.

I found this site myself doing a search on google that took me to a thread that was dormant for several years. I then probably spent two more years reading the site before ever logging in the first time.

Good discussions no matter their age always have value.

Last edited:
Personally I never shoot with a clean bore.

I will clean the snot out of one then always shoot a couple of foulers and leave it as is unless I'm putting one away for the year.

I get better consistency that way.
I agree, but this isn't always possible. So, to me, it's a good idea to know what your rifle will do in this scenario.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.