COAL tool

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Firearrow, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Firearrow

Firearrow Well-Known Member

I use the cheep method of taking a case, using a dremel to put three relief cuts in the mouth of the case, and then kinda loosely seating the bullet . Then us a candle to soot up the bullet. I keep seating the bullet deeper until there are no marks from the lands. So the question is, is the Hornady OAL gague better? I know it is not a big investment, but just wanted to ask.

2. 300 ultra

300 ultra Well-Known Member

The hornady tool is cheap and very simple to use. Will speed up your process.

3. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

That's what I use

4. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

The Hornady tool along with a microseater on your seating die make it easy work with bullet seating depth.

Brent

5. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I have the Hornady tool, but don't use it since I found the Davidson nose pieces and base which attach to the caliper at Sinclair. I feel the Davidson is faster and much more accurate.

But you must seat the bullet reasonably close in a dummy case, scratch it with 0000 steel wool, and move your seater down until the land marks can barely be seen. I write that down as the "kiss" mark. From there, I can jam or jump bullets as desired. I use only the Redding competition seater to do this.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Be sure to search your ideas here.
    Look for R-P tool also