COAL Question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cornchuck, Sep 20, 2011.

1. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

I am just starting to reload for my Rem 700P in .308. Never loaded for it before. I found the OAL with my OAL gauge for 178gr. A Max's and started to load .020 shorter than the length I got with the gauge. After seating the first round, I found it won't fit in the mag at that length. Measuring from the ogive with the gauge it was 2.339 inches. After finding that it won't fit in the mag, I shortened it to 2.200 inches. Just barely fits in the mag.

Yes, it could be loaded to be shot as a single shot. But it will also see it's fair share of varmint hunting. So I want to be able to hold more then one in the gun.

I am just wondering what anyone else has seen with their 308's. Not just from Remy's, but from any other brand and any other caliber. Is this the kind of a norm?

Jason

2. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

3. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

LouBoyd,

The 178gr. AMax's isn't the only choice I have choosen to try. I also have 175gr. SMK. I have noticed that ogive on the SMK's is different from the AMax. Which puts into the bullet into the lands faster than the AMax.

I tried 40 rounds of Federals Gold Match ammo with 175 SMk loaded in
    them. They shot great. Half moa at 200 yards. Never loaded more than one into the gun to see if they fit into mag.

If I can get the gun to shoot great out to 1000 yards, with my loads, I will keep the gun.

Thank you for your input, Lou.

Jason

4. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

It's quite common for factory rifle magazines to limit the OAL before the chamber does. We live with it, after all our hunting rifles aren't chambered to be like custom made BR rifles.