COAL for 338 Lapua in a Savage Mag (3.775" ID)

WEATHERBY460

250 Bergers
H1000
Savage 110 with an ID of mag of 3.775"

What should I use for a COAL so I can shoot from the mag?

I'm expecting accuracy around 91 grains of H1000.

Thanks for any guidance.

250 Bergers
H1000

Thanks for any guidance.
A COAL that will feed properly; you must experiment to find the best compromise between your COAL and CBTO.

Last edited:
250 Bergers
H1000

Thanks for any guidance.
Your magazine is going to limit you to the COAL. Cartridge Overall Length (COAL). You need to look at what bullet you are shooting and your seating depth in relationship to the lands in you barrel. COAL can be used to fine tune accuracy.
Cartridge Base to Bullet Ogive (CBTO) is an important part of reloading. You need to be aware of the dramatic effects that bullet seating depth can have on the pressure and velocity generated by a rifle cartridge (how much powder you can SAFELY load also). You need to check the seating depth of your cartridge to the lands. There are several processes to do this. We use the Hornady OAL Guage with a Modified Case to check seating.
Bryan Litz has a good explanation on Berger's website. Also other info is on the internet.

I would stay within the 3.680 - 3.700" area. I have a 110 in stealth (24") and I could seat them longer and with the boat-tail in the neck. Of course I'm not doing that. I'm not sure if all of the 110's are throated the same (or near the same). I have the 3.850" mags. Whether it's coal or ctbo both will change as you change 1 and the other matches the change.

If you want to mag feed. Try 3.76ish" COAL and start working up a load. May give you a little wiggle room for the uneven tips on the Bergers. I am at 3.745" COAL with the 300 Berger under 90.8gr N570. You should be good with H1000 and the shorter bullet. Don't be afraid to jump that bullet. (I know they look funny and no one wants to shoot short and fat, but long and sexy).

Different bullet and cartridge (300 RUM), but the 245 Elite Hunter shot really well with a looog jump.