CO Unit 54 3rd Season.

pjosh6

Time is getting closer and seems like the year is going by fast. 3 of us got either sex tags for unt 54 this year. Last year we tried the same area for first season and being our first time in this area we learned alot. We definetly walked alot an checked out some pretty nice areas. We basically saw every animal except for elk. Was a warm season although it rained the first 2 days we were there with some occasional snow. We spent alot of time north of Rainbow Lake and down around Elk Creek. Then the last few days went up towards Swampy Pass trailhead. This year going later in the season were thinking of trying to decide which area to try again. We did notice quite a few good parks up headed up around Swampy Pass. We will take a camper up to use as a base camp then probably hike in for 2-3 days depending on weather which I'm sure will produce some cold weather and snow. Just curious if anyone has any advice for going in on 3rd season vs 1st. Thanks in advance.

Weather and hunting pressure are the 2 biggest differences. More tags in 54 for 3rd, which can also be hunted with an unlimited OTC bull tag. Over 1200 hunted it last year 3rd season compared to about 500 for 1st season. But that pressure can get them moving if the guys get off the roads.
They'll be in the dark timber or on the move if others boot them out. If ya got snow, did 2 years ago but not last, that is a major plus. Big bulls are off to themselves then.

Tagging in.....

I can say this - we've had a wet spring through early summer, but it's been off/on since then (I live in CO - front range area).

I suspect we're going to have a healthy snowfall this year unlike last year and even the year prior which, while there was snow it wasn't significant. I've nothing scientific/empirical to back this up, just a gut feeling, but I'm prepping my cold-weather stove and going through my other cold-weather gear as well.

I know up in the Castle Creek area and up north of Pass Creek Tenderfoot Outfitters work a fair bit. I don't know how successful (or not....) they've been, but they ride and cover a lot of ground up that way.

Okay thanks fellas. I'm pretty much betting on lots of snow during this time. I live in southern CO and will hopefully make a few trips up there before the season starts. I have never been up there in Late season yet so just curious .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.