CO 2nd Season Elk Nuttiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Almost all the hunting area I used since the 70's had now been gated and permits are required to enter since about 2013 or so. Part of reasoning was less Hunter pressure but when they sell 600+ permits there is still a fair amount of folks traveling about since it covers your entire family. Add to that the deer numbers are really down since early 2000's, regardless of what the game department says, personal observation says otherwise, there is still a sparse hunting opportunities. Then the people driving in early early morning into clear-cuts way before shooting hours are even close it's no wonder game are spooked and not often seen. Proliferation if cougars doesn't help either, since ending hound hunting they were being scene at the city borders and indeed within same when before it was unheard of to see them at all.

mainly because those very feds you speak of, don't 'own' the states wildlife. So they can't issue licenses, or dictate what the individual state does with their critters
Because they don't want to deal with it so they give it away to the states. Game on federal land should belong to feds, or more precisely the public. Maybe we should limit ourselves to every 3rd year getting a license, self management.

[QUOTE="Philward, post: 1741143, member:
"Maybe we should limit ourselves to every 3rd year getting a license, self management."[/QUOTE]

Yeah.....get real.....i dont like beef.....i will work my butt off for real "meat and potatoes"....no butcher for me either.....
process it all myself.....
right down into the toilet......

I maintain the fence line around a section of a local cattle property. In exchange I have land access anytime, for recreation or deer/elk/coyote hunting. Another place I help out, has over a million dollars just in cows, to give a perspective on it's size. I help out with calving season, and weed spraying/tree fertilization of the landowners place. I have access to hunt elk, deer, coyotes, fox, badger, coons, and target shoot. There are plenty of ways to get access to the "rich people ranches". I just don't ask access for free. I can work hard during the summer to earn access to an elk in the winter. Or I can work hard climbing mountains on public land, wading through other hunters, trying to keep up with guys on horseback, and earn an elk. Either way It's a lot of work. Even rich people need to hire help. Part of the payment can be hunting access. Since I hunt year round, pretty much everything that I can, the work is worth the access. JMO.

No offense but the elk are still here. No matter how much we complain about wildlife agencies and other hunters, at least in CO the elk are still here. Yea sure, some move to private land sanctuaries. But truth be told, the elk didn't go to Hawaii because 2nd rifle season started. I see them all summer and you could see them too. You can doubt CPW herd estimates but how many of you folks are flying winter range. How many have an education to do an aerial survey and a statistical estimate based on science. There's elk out there and they spend their life learning how to survive various threats. Just because last years drought made hunting easy, doesn't mean hunting is easy every year. There are ways to avoid hunter pressure and the easy way is to save your points for a limited draw area. The other way is to hunt with a camera. Fat lazy CO elk are everywhere.
EC2547CC-9BB3-4129-8973-335B99AB6957.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BC01AD0-3F5B-44CA-B59E-9EDC5FE78E9B.jpeg
    6BC01AD0-3F5B-44CA-B59E-9EDC5FE78E9B.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 193
How about a federal hunting license and tags that allows anyone possessing such to hunt any state, on National Forest land, blm land, ie any public access land. States could issue license for their properties and to cover private land owner properties for game management purposes and harvest limits. That way we could hunt whatever public land that had an open season.
Some states, Utah I know for sure funds their whole Fishing, wildlife, game wardens etc from hunting and fishing license sales and other fees.....

It's called enterprise funding. Various departments of state and county governments are enterprise funded. That means they are funded by the revenue they generate. Other departments like highways and law enforcement are capital funded. Those departments are primarily funded by tax dollars.

So CPW is funded by revenue from licensing fishing/hunting, registering off highway vehicles, and the paltry revenue state parks generate.

What you may consider is unfair, is that the revenue doesn't mandate wildlife priorities. So many complain that CPW only cares about generating profits, but that would be contrary to their black footed ferret program, lynx program, and non game fish species program. So whether you like it or not, we fund programs that have
no bearing on our selfish self interests. CPW will soon be in the sorry position to fund the wolf reintroduction program not because they want to but because of social political decisions made on the urban front range. An agency mandated to shoot itself in its funding foot.

TMI for the general public.

I can add to this tread, Have been hunting Idaho as a non resident since 1983. Have been archery hunting elk for the past 10 years there, due to gun season being a circus. Did not get my Idaho archery tag this year because they were sold out. Returned last night from 9 days hunting Colorado, about an hour north of Craig on National Forrest. I set up camp on Wed the 16th, by Friday the 18th there were 9 other camps within a stones throw of me.

First day of the season I saw 14 other hunters and 0 elk, change of plans on day 2. Hiked 3.9 miles from the horse trail and killed a respectable 5x5, found a place most would not want to walk to because most hunters are lazy. Being tagged out I spent a few days just riding around. I was blown away by the amount of camps and ppl I saw in my travels. I counted 37 camps all within 5 miles on a dirt road of mine.

No doubt Colorado needs to make a change, they will not because of all the $$ they receive from hunters buying tags. I know I will not be back

Beautiful country and no way as rugged or steep as Idaho.

I can add to this tread, Have been hunting Idaho as a non resident since 1983. Have been archery hunting elk for the past 10 years there, due to gun season being a circus. Did not get my Idaho archery tag this year because they were sold out. Returned last night from 9 days hunting Colorado, about an hour north of Craig on National Forrest. I set up camp on Wed the 16th, by Friday the 18th there were 9 other camps within a stones throw of me.

First day of the season I saw 14 other hunters and 0 elk, change of plans on day 2. Hiked 3.9 miles from the horse trail and killed a respectable 5x5, found a place most would not want to walk to because most hunters are lazy. Being tagged out I spent a few days just riding around. I was blown away by the amount of camps and ppl I saw in my travels. I counted 37 camps all within 5 miles on a dirt road of mine.

No doubt Colorado needs to make a change, they will not because of all the $$ they receive from hunters buying tags. I know I will not be back

Beautiful country and no way as rugged or steep as Idaho.

Just this morning watched a herd of about 20+ elk bed down 250 yds off the road at about 9am, they were still there at 10:30 when I got back to the truck, and there was a doe walking right by them at about 10 yds away. I was hoping a buck was in tow but not today. These roads get traveled a lot and there is logging activity/road work going on close by. Maybe because it is Monday and nobody had been through this road yet, only saw one other hunter all morning. I love hunting during the week and try to forgo the weekends. That may be half of folks' problem with crowding.

Yep...i try to avoid the weekends also....even if i know someone could accidentally kick out a nice buck....
A lot of animals I have taken have beds where they can watch people....if the person goes one way the animal goes fhe other.....heck a whole herd of deer learned that on a ranch in Oregon....bed where they could watch the ranch house and which way trucks of hunters left...they just walked over a ridge or down a draw.....until I caught them in binos one evening from the ranch house....then the gsme was on...we killed three nice bucks that morning...they didnt know where to go......

Well, I am one of those out of staters. I was in SW Colorado during second rifle. It did seem like there were more hunters poking around. But, one our party had traveled in the area in late summer/early fall on vacation and said the general area was full of non hunters camping and hiking. He said most of the license plates were Colorado. On our hunt, we camp on national forest and walk into the designated wilderness area. I found mountain bike tire tracts way up a trail in the mud so they had been recently made. One of our party came across hikers with a dog romping around. The dog had on orange but not the hikers. They were locals.
Besides us "foreigners", I feel the game is pressured by the non hunter presence that seems to have greatly increased.

I was in the D3 zone Tahoe National Forest Yuba Pass Campground the last few days. Elevation 6,700 morning lows 10 daytime time high 30. Observed one family running laps around the campground on their mini dirt bikes while mother was timing them. A couple of hunters go out at daybreak on their ATV 10 degrees wind blown that side of the Mountain no sun until afternoon. So I decided to sit in my tent next to the wood stove and burn some wood. Finally the racing team loaded up and left after a full day. Noon time here comes the hunters about frozen, oh bye the way their camp was the back of their pick up. They ate and off the went, who knows how many layers they had on but I can tell you this it wasn't enough on a day like that. Along about dark I can hear the ATV a coming. They loaded up and left, no kill. So the next day I had the whole place to myself went for a hike, ATV on the trailer for recovery.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.