Closesest to 338 Lapua Mag but at least twoce as cheap

caesar55

For long range mountain hunting.
I shoot only factory ammo (yes i am an idiot). So none of my questions is about reloading and I am not interested to know anything about it at this point.
338 Lapua Magnum for long range (1000 yards plus) shi...s on everything nearby (or may be not so please tell me) but it's reduclously priced. I don't see a reason why but it is.
There is 300 PRC but it brings 250gr bullet at similar speed as 338 LPMG brings 300gr bullet AND 250gr ammo doesn't exist in factory for the 300 PRC (if I am wrong I would love to know).
300 PRC is less than 1/2 the price of 338 LPMG. Is there anything else that is in between ballistics wise (stopping power is my main concern) that costs like 300 PRC or less.
Basically I want something that is 338 LPMG but half the price.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think there's a factory 250 hornady a tip that copper creek offers. Maybe more. I don't own a prc but seems I have seen that offered. 300 norma mag would be closest to a 338 imo without getting into reloading. But it's still not gonna compare.

I don't think you will find cheaper than a prc. That stopping power you seek comes at a price lol
It comes at a price because of market not because of stopping power. If it was all about stopping power why 50 bmg is almost twice as cheap as 338 lpmg

For long range mountain hunting.
I shoot only factory ammo (yes i am an idiot). So none of my questions is about reloading and I am not interested to know anything about it at this point.
338 Lapua Magnum for long range (1000 yards plus) shi...s on everything nearby (or may be not so please tell me) but it's reduclously priced. I don't see a reason why but it is.
There is 300 PRC but it brings 250gr bullet at similar speed as 338 LPMG brings 300gr bullet AND 250gr ammo doesn't exist in factory for the 300 PRC (if I am wrong I would love to know).
300 PRC is less than 1/2 the price of 338 LPMG. Is there anything else that is in between ballistics wise (stopping power is my main concern) that costs like 300 PRC or less.
Basically I want something that is 338 LPMG but half the price.

Thanks
Whether you load or go with a factory ammo, that is a tall order. I shoot a .338 NMI, and there is no way I can load them down to the .300 PRC cost level. Good luck!

Look into the rum cartridges too, 300, 338, you could jump to the edge cartridges but ammo would need to be sourced from custom load companies

Last edited:
I'm don't really think what you're asking for exists in factory offerings. I'd say start looking up different cartridges and run the ballistics through a ballistics computer and see how energy, velocity wind drift, etc. compare at 1000 yards. As to your original question my best guess is gonna be a .300 PRC. And don't discount good old .300 win mag either.

If your new to long range shooting I'd also suggest getting a .223 to practice a bunch with because it's cheap and it will absolutely teach you how to read the wind.

You are not going to get the performance of a Ferrari out of a Honda. There are lots of mods you can put on a Honda to get you closer but still doesn't perform the same as a Ferrari. And you pay for those mods. And keep in mind there are cars that perform better than a Ferrari, they may cost you more. So the moral of the story is if you want the performance of a Ferrari save your money and buy a Ferrari.