Clip dropping out at shot

NW Hunter

I have had my detachable clip on my rem 700 drop out occasionally during the shot.
I have checked out both clips and the tolerances are tight.

My 300WM recipe is: RWS 1x fired brass
78.9 gr H1000 powder
CCI BRII Large rifle primer
Berger 190 gr Hunt VLD

Ogive .020" off lands, 2998-3002fps out of a Bartlein 24" 5R barrel.
No pressure signs on extraction, spent primer or at case head.

The Hodgdon manual says 81.0 gr of H1000 with a 190 gr bullet gives 2990fps with 52,800 CUP pressure.
I believe CUP max for 300WM is 64,000.

Am I shooting an over-pressure load?
What do you guys think?

I think you have a weak spring on the retaining pawl that keeps the 'magazine' in place, or the indent on the magazine itself has become rounded off allowing the magazine to cam out.

SidecarFlip,

I never thought about a weak spring. I'll check that and the slot in the trigger guard/clip housing.

Thanks for giving me a heads up

Randy

No matter what you chamber, short of blowing up the cartridge and blowing the magazine out of the well, the magazine has nothing to do with case pressure. The magazine will limit the COAL but the bolt will not fully close long before the cartridge won't feed, great thing about a bolt action.

Your issue is mechanical in nature. It will either be the retention spring, the release arm or the indent/protrusion on the magazine itself.

I had a similar issue with a Ruger and it turned out to be the release arm, the locking end became rounded a bit and allowed the magazine to come loose.

I replaced the release arm (on the Ruger) but I imagine it is possible to square it again. In my case the arm was cheap enough to just replace.

Good luck and don't loose small parts. I'm good for having springs and such mysteriously vanish......:)

I think I might file the protrutions sharp and flat again. Up inside the magazine well there is a slot on either side that the protrutions fit into. One slot is very worn (rouded). I may clean those up too or buy a new a new trigger guard assembly.

I wonder if my gunsmith might have dropped the triigger guard assembly?
Maybe squeezing the two sides together would help....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.