7RUM, best powder for sending noz120bt's out at 4k?

Max Heat

I'll be getting 7RUM soon, and I heard it is a "finicky" round. Most say use slower powder (I use RL19 in the 7mag, with the 120's), but then most also shoot heavier bullets. I'm looking for the powder that generates the least pressure, while still getting the job done, with the light bullets.

i got real close with the 120 tsx barnes at 3950 with reloader 25 with 96.5 out of a 26 in barrel and the gun shot a .45 group at 100yds. i think if i had a longer barrel i would have got it pretty easy something like 28 or 30in.

RL25 seems slow to me, for light 120's that don't spend much time in the barrel. And that's **** close a filled case at 96.5gr. I'm thinking too much of the charge burns outside of the barrel. I can imagine what the muzzle blast is like. But at 3950, you are basically there.

I've been using RL19 in the standard rem mag, also with pretty amazing results. But I'm thinking it's going to be too fast burning for up to a 25% increase in charge weight pushing a bullet down the same sized hole, in the RUM barrel.

Have you tried RL22 with 120's?

At this point, RL22 is what I plan on starting out with, @85gr, hoping to reach target velocity by low 90's. That is, unless you have already gone through the motions with 22, and the results weren't as good as with 25.

The 7RUM barrel that I have on order now is 26", as that is the longest that can be had with Shaw, I believe, or I would have ordered 2 of them. But after I burn that one up, I do plan on going 30" on next one.

i did try 22 and also 7828. and got there or real close with both i started at 90grs with 22 and worked up and 92 with7828ssc and worked up with it. also i got mid 3800's with both but my gun did not like them. groups were like 1.5 at 100yds. i have a 7mm 300 weatherby that with 7828 i can pull off 3900plus but barrel life was pretty short and with less powder use.

Sounds like 25 is what to go with then, despite having to burn that amount of powder, if that's what the gun likes, especially considering that the velocity produced also trumps the others. I'd like to know what kind of groups the Nosler ballistic tip 120's would produce with that load. I've found them to be super accurate in the rem mag. Have you ever tried them?

cant help with the bt i used the 120 barnes to shot everything here i montana from gofers to elk and had great success. and very flat to about 600 yds. but the wind would mess with them quite bad. but its dealabile. and i had about 1100 round though the gun.

More barrel burn using less powder? I'm trying to make sense of that, since it is my belief that it is the amt of powder burned (along with how small of a bore that the heat/pressure is forced into) that determines barrel life.

I AM impressed with the 1100 number, burning 96.5gr of powder. I will be more than happy if I get anywhere close to that. Is that the rifle that does 1.5" groups?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.