cleaning insidee of brass?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I was wondering how do you clean the inside of the brass casing? I use the neck brush to clean inside the neck but was wondering about down inside the body of the brass. I weighed several of my cases and found them to have alot of diffrent weights. Even as much as a couple of grains. I'm figuring that it must be residue inside the brass. I have never used a vibratory cleaner, could that have something to do with it? Thank's, Brad

All my cases get tumbled. After that, each & every one get trimmed, champhered& de burred, then I use a copper or nylon brush (cal specific) on the end of a screw gun. This removes any media that may have been in the case, ad well as any brass shavings that may be in there after case prep, and a lot of powder residue. You can clean all the way to the bottom of the case, & even feel, & clean the flash hole.
You can easily see the difference with the naked eye when you shine a light down inside.

The vibratory cleaning or tumbling does a pretty good job on the inside of the case but if you want
more do as Winmag recomended, use a nylon brush.

As far as weight is concerned you should prep all brass while new and weight sort it before firing
it.

J E CUSTOM

I think the op is referring to the media dust left inside the cases after tumbling. The only way to get that out is with an ultrasonic cleaner. I have wondred myself if the difference in dust from one case to the next would affect accuracy. Thought about it so much, my next purchase is going to be an ultrasonic cleaner.

I think the op is referring to the media dust left inside the cases after tumbling. The only way to get that out is with an ultrasonic cleaner. I have wondred myself if the difference in dust from one case to the next would affect accuracy. Thought about it so much, my next purchase is going to be an ultrasonic cleaner.

Good point !!

If so, all you have to do after tumbling to remove any dust is clean with any good solvent that
evaporates quickly. (Like acetone or lacquer thinner) this also removes any sizing lube from
the cases.

Some wash there cases with soap and water and dry them.

The "dust" can be harmful if left in the case because of it's abrasive nature and it can lead to
premature throat and barrel erosion.

J E CUSTON

throw a torn up dryer sheet in the media while tumbling and their ain't no dust !

And, use "lizzard litter" from pet smart, it is a MUCH cleaner and cheaper source of walnut shell media.

No, I'm not talking about dust from media as I have never tumbled the brass. I'm talking about gunpowder residue as that is all that heas been in the case.

Do ultrasonic cleaners work as well as tumblers? I believe I have seen some poor reviews on ultrasonic cleaners if I remember correctly. Thank's for yals responses. Brad

"I weighed several of my cases and found them to have alot of diffrent weights. Even as much as a couple of grains. I'm figuring that it must be residue inside the brass. "

No. You're weighing normal differeces in the cases themselves, such variation is common even in new, unfired cases. The thin film of internal carbon is meaningless; so is the tiny amount of media dust. Most such dust is the result of adding an excessive amount of polish that has dried and returned to a powder, used clothes dryer sheets can trap and remove most of it.

We reloaded long before any tumbers or ultrasonics or wet metal cleaners came along. No one has shown there to be any difference in accuracy or barrel life since the surgically clean and/or highly polished cases fetish started a few years ago.

No, I'm not talking about dust from media as I have never tumbled the brass. I'm talking about gunpowder residue as that is all that heas been in the case.

Do ultrasonic cleaners work as well as tumblers? I believe I have seen some poor reviews on ultrasonic cleaners if I remember correctly. Thank's for yals responses. Brad

Sonic cleaners do a good job when used appropriately. I only use mine when I feel it's needed.

Like boomtube stated, it's not necessary to polish your cases inside and out.

A simple twist from a primer pocket uniformer will clean the primer pocket nicely.

Some steel wool wrapped around a small nylon brush chucked in your drill will clean the necks quickly. But, you want to be careful to be consistent. It's easy to overdo it.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.