cleaning how often

buzzard

How often do I have to get the copper out to keep good accuracy and is windchester brass OK and I am trying out nosler green BT's 150 and 180 in two of My 30/06 spg's thank's for Your input it is gratly appreciated

The cleaning depends on the gun some guys will shot 20-50 rounds before accuracy falls off some won't shoot 10 before accuracy drops , it all depends onm the barrel and how its treated. You can try to shoot several groups noting if they are opening up toward the last few. Typicaly I'd say for a factory gun ever 15-20 shots withg a 30-06 as it shoulden't foul as bad as a hotter mag. You just need to be sure that your getting all the copper out when you clean or you will eventualy get some build up.

As for the brass , Winchester is decient doens't seem as hard to me as Remington does. It realy depends on what your shooting , if you shooting you paps old factroy deer gun then I doubt you'll see a differance but if you have a well built factory gun of a custom that was put together right then I'd say buy some Lapua it'll run you about $.65 per case but it'll out last Rem or Win brass and is WAY more consistant, its the best stuff out their.

Another tip to keep you accuracy top side is to watch your reloading , change up primers and seating depths also you may want to invest in a Lee collet die , it'll make you brass last longer and they load some great accurate ammo.

JD I have a rcbs percision mic gauge for bullet seating and shoulder space. I'm ladder testing and 03 A3 and a rem 700 do I need to shoot the brass once to size it to the gun before the test I was hoping it would'ent make that much diffrence

I shoot mainly sporter rifles, a 30-06, 308 and 7x57. I practice, mostly with milsurp up to 300yds. I have an accuracy/hunting load for each. I shoot an 'accuracy'(1.25" or better 100@yds) group about every 50-60 rds. When accuracy falls off over 1.5", I clean. this is usually around 150rds for two and over that for the other. I think thats guns should be cleaned when they need it. I also think that many are cleaned more than need be. capt david

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.