clean bore 1st shot

red dawg

Hey guys, seems like I read on here some days back that there is a procedure that you can do to take a freshly cleaned bore and not have to shoot 2 or 3 shots to re- zero a gun. My gun after de- coppered shoots 2 inches left of zero and then 1 inch left till 3rd or 4th shot when zero returns. Thanks, Darin

Great video, but not what I was looking for, and what I'm saying is that it takes 3 shots to re-foul to return to zero. I have heard that after a bore is clean that you can run a substance through the bore to eliminate multiple shots to do this
I read that using a teflon oil after cleaning would do this but I have had no luck

Great video, but not what I was looking for, and what I'm saying is that it takes 3 shots to re-foul to return to zero. I have heard that after a bore is clean that you can run a substance through the bore to eliminate multiple shots to do this
I read that using a teflon oil after cleaning would do this but I have had no luck

Sorry my bad, I thought you're looking to sight in.

Teflon is opposite of good fouling. What you should have read is that it takes longer for fouling to stabilize with use of teflon or oil, or both, as these doesn't burn out so quickly/cleanly.

I do what you're looking for(prefouling) with tungsten disulphide(WS2). After cleaning to white metal, I wash bores with alcohol, and then dry burnish in WS2 with a bore mop. I put the gun away in this dry prefouled condition. 1st shot will be as good as any to follow, and later cleaning removes the tungsten along with powder fouling just the same.

I also coat my bullets with WS2, but this is to prevent copper fouling out with extended shooting. I don't do this to establish bore fouling.

Thanks Mike, this was what I was trying to remember, so where do you get this tungsten disulphide? (ws2)

red dawg,
I don't think that there is a "patent" answer. I, by all means, am not an expert! But, in my findings it seems that the smaller the bore, the more fouling rounds. In my .223's two rounds is the minimum and three seems to be better. In my .375AI and my wife's .338 WM we can get by with no fouling rounds. However, I always run at least one down the tube for insurance reasons! memtb

PS: As I said, no expert and not familiar with the tungsten disulphide treatment

I use to have this problem. But since I started using BoreTech Eliminator it is a non issue these days. BoreTech is a rust preventive, so no oil needed. Clean as per directions on bottle, dry patch with at least 6 patches and shoot. First shot will go into group and on zero.

I should also say this is with custom stainless barrels and it has worked on everyone we have tested. Worth a shot. Pun intended. But your mileage may vary.

Jeff

I use to have this problem. But since I started using BoreTech Eliminator it is a non issue these days. BoreTech is a rust preventive, so no oil needed. Clean as per directions on bottle, dry patch with at least 6 patches and shoot. First shot will go into group and on zero.

I should also say this is with custom stainless barrels and it has worked on everyone we have tested. Worth a shot. Pun intended. But your mileage may vary.

Jeff

Same results with my rifle with Boretech E

Thanks for all the info, I've been looking at bore tech e and I guess it's an order for some at midway since my reload shop don't carry any! thanks again for the responses

I do the same as Mikecr except I use hexagonal boron nitride (HBN). I coat the bullets using the procedure shown all over the web. I clean the heck out of the barrel with WipeOut foam, a few times until no blue, then run a patch with HBN in suspension in alcohol. Also going a long time between cleans, so there really aren't that many clean bore shots.

Hey Lynx, are you getting this in liquid form or powder form and putting it on cleaning patches with a jag and cleaning rod?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.