Clamp on brake

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Thumbs up on the Witt Machine clamp on. But I would not recommend it on a XP. The increased noise level at the shooter is going to be immense. If you are shooting off a bench you won't make any friends. The brake has a 90 degree blast.

I always use double hearing protection from the bench and at least single while hunting.

In fact , it's still in my safe but I sold the barrel , it was on a 7mm RM Criterion HS barrel . I know it's a long shot , (YUK YUK ) but it's your's for the cost of shipping if you think it will fit . I think it was around .731 , the barrel I mean .

I appreciate the offer but my barrel is a fair bit smaller at the muzzle, if I rebarrel at some point I'll just thread the barrel and use my suppressor.

I put a Witt Brake on a 300 RUM, used micrometer to get measurements as directed, recieved, fit perfectly. Installed and torqued as instructed, looked bulky and out of place but seemed to go on as it should. First shot it launched somewhere into the cornfield behind my house into 2 inches fresh snow, I walked the area for about an hour, never to be seen again... No great loss, barrel was about shot out anyway and it pushed me into revamping it, should have back from gunsmith this week converted to 7 PRC.

I've got one on an XP-100 as well as a couple rifles. They work. Not the most pathetically pleasing but they grow on ya.

Mine is on a 7mm-08 with a 15" barrel. Works well enough that I've had a rifle scope mounted to this gun at one point (needed it worse on another XP-100 so I put a Burris pistol scope on it for now).

Muzzle blast is better than some of my other brakes due to port design but not as effective, also due to port design.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 17
I've got one on an XP-100 as well as a couple rifles. They work. Not the most pathetically pleasing but they grow on ya.

Mine is on a 7mm-08 with a 15" barrel. Works well enough that I've had a rifle scope mounted to this gun at one point (needed it worse on another XP-100 so I put a Burris pistol scope on it for now).

Muzzle blast is better than some of my other brakes due to port design but not as effective, also due to port design.
Aesthetically…. Spell check got me on my "stupid" phone.

I've always thought about using a clamp on on my 300 RUM BDL, was alway worried about marring the barrel or blowing it off the end.
I can only speak for the Witts but if you follow their directions you shouldn't have any problems. I took mine off once to clean and skipped the loctite on the barrel, 1st shot sent it flying. Found it about 30yrds away lol. Put it back on with the loctite and no issues since and it hadn't marred the barrel from before either.

With the .357 Max and the Witt brake I over-torqued one of the screws and it broke off. They never did send me another one. The other two I don't have loctited and haven't had any problem. But there is a significant difference between a .300 RUM and .357 Max when it comes to powder charge and muzzle blast...