chronographs and the sun/clouds??

JustC

I have seen results from both sunny days and overcast days while using the chrono, and noticed some variances. My question is,....are readings from overcast days more reliable or accurate than those taken on bright sunny days? The consistency seems to be better when the sky is overcast.

JustC

I have never noticed a difference but I bet if you call one of the tech guys at Oehler you will get a definitive answer. Those guys are bright and they are very helpful.

thanks Len. I noticed a slight increase in velocity readings with the same load on a cloudy day vs the readings from that load the week before on a bright "bluebird" day.

JustC
I got very inconsistent results with my Chrony (especially when sun was low in the sky) until I made up a large shade to go over the top to keep off direct sunlight . A modified corflute sign makes a good and simple shade.

Aussie,..so then you have seen the same thing as me? do you also get much better and CONSISTENT readings when the sky is overcast?

Here's a trick that worked for me....put a piece of frosted scotch tape over your light sensors before starting your shooting session. Don't know why it works so good but it worked great and this is a trick I learned on forums like this. Perhaps it stops the reflection of the bullet as it passes by--that's if they are shiney after going down the barrel--who knows??

I never tried the scotch tape filter but it makes sense.
The ideal situation is white clouds. On dark days I have used a flashlight set on the ground shining up at the difusers. I'll get a corflute sign also(the chrony difusers wont last forever)
Another trick is black marker on bullet tips to show up against the white sky. You can tell the guys you converted your metal detector into a chronograph, but steel core ammo works better
confused.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.