Chronographing expertise needed.

wildcat westerner

Hello,
We are completing a long range .338 Winchester magnum with a 33 inch barrel which is 1.5 inches at the muzzle. Mechanically, we can shoot and fire it, which is what I would like to do with 8 different powders. The frustration so far is this. We have tried chronographing this weapon on three separate occasions in different locations with three different chronographs and have exactly registered two shots. N560 gave us 3,200+ fps with the starter load, so, of course, I was eager to find out exactly what could be attained. We have gained nothing but frustration, so far.

I have begun to think that any type of chronograph that is mounted to the barrel, due to its size at the muzzle, is not registering due to the fact the reading portion is simply too far from the actual rifle muzzle's bore itself. I can't back this up with scientific proof. I am familiar with PACT and Magnetospeed and have used Oehler 43's in the past.

So, if you have had to deal with this problem and found success, I would really appreciate your expertise in solving this issue.

We are north of Santa Fe and if you are within two hours of this area and are willing to try to give me a hand, I would deeply appreciate it if you would get in touch with me.

The experience to this point has been positive, except for the chrongraphing. Recoil from a magnum case with 80 grains of powder has been mitigated by the heavy barrel and Harrell muzzlebrake, and the rocks used as targets, really explode, due to the release of all that energy, when hit.

WW

WW

Hello,
We are completing a long range .338 Winchester magnum with a 33 inch barrel which is 1.5 inches at the muzzle. Mechanically, we can shoot and fire it, which is what I would like to do with 8 different powders. The frustration so far is this. We have tried chronographing this weapon on three separate occasions in different locations with three different chronographs and have exactly registered two shots. N560 gave us 3,200+ fps with the starter load, so, of course, I was eager to find out exactly what could be attained. We have gained nothing but frustration, so far.

I have begun to think that any type of chronograph that is mounted to the barrel, due to its size at the muzzle, is not registering due to the fact the reading portion is simply too far from the actual rifle muzzle's bore itself. I can't back this up with scientific proof. I am familiar with PACT and Magnetospeed and have used Oehler 43's in the past.

So, if you have had to deal with this problem and found success, I would really appreciate your expertise in solving this issue.

We are north of Santa Fe and if you are within two hours of this area and are willing to try to give me a hand, I would deeply appreciate it if you would get in touch with me.

The experience to this point has been positive, except for the chrongraphing. Recoil from a magnum case with 80 grains of powder has been mitigated by the heavy barrel and Harrell muzzlebrake, and the rocks used as targets, really explode, due to the release of all that energy, when hit.

WW

WW
Please post pictures (muzzle positioning/distance, equipment setting, etc. ) of your set-up for others to help you troubleshoot your issue(s). Provide as many pertinent information as you can.

I do not want to assume anything, but when you say north of Santa Fe, are you referring to New Mexico? Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Great insights here. I do not know about Labrador chronographs, but apparantly this would be a functional option. Apparently the two different Magnetospeeds I did try were for sporter barrels only. Thanks so much ShtrRdy for your offer, which I will reply to directly.

WW

My magnetospeed V3 works with all my suppressors and my labradar does too.
My Magnetospeed V3 works with suppressors (large diameter, greater than 1.5" diameter) just fine. The top of the bayonet just needs to be within 1/4" of the bottom of the bullet path, which is adjusted using the rubber and plastic spacers.