Chronograph woes!

that's exactly what I'm trying to say. Just because one reads different than the other dosn't mean that it's reading is off. If you have an extra $500 then buy the Ohler, but if your frugal then buy what suits your needs. I can set mine up in ten minutes max and be shooting while it takes the guy with the Ohler four times that to get going (at ranges they don't like this very well unless your the only guy shooting).
gary

I can't argue with anyone about chronographs but I have know plenty of guys that bought cheep
and later regretted it and ended up buying and Oehler and they haven't looked back and there are
still the old 33s functioning well (20 or 30 years later).

The prof channel makes the difference to me because it will show any discrepancy If one screen fails
to record the bullet correctly.(Normally there is 5 to 10 ft/sec loss between the two screens).

I have mine set up with the screens evenly spaced and don't change them. This makes the velocity
between the two channels remain consistant from one use to the next. and setup is very fast.

It is like having two chronographs, and this eliminates using a false indication because if the spread
from one channel to the next is very far apart it gives an error message and if you dont have the
prof channel you might not catch this and use the data and have it effect the overall report and skew
the data.

They make several other lab models that can tell you chamber and velocity at POI not just near
the muzzle. I wish I could justify buying one of these but they are much higher priced.

Once I started using all the features and data my reloading cost was cut 75 to 80%.

The only chronograph that I didn't like to shoot through and did not trust was the shooting chrony
because with the computer directly under the screens and the spacing between them, It was not
unsual to alter readings with muzzle blase, and one poorly placed shot (Through the chrony) and
the jig was up.

I am sure the other chronographs are good but I prefer and trust the Oehler above all others.

So a person should buy what they want and live with there decision.

J E CUSTOM

I feel the same and I would still be money ahead if I did it first. Seems the guys that actually own the Oehlers are happy with them.

Jeff

I had an old 33 that was great and I would still be using it but Clinton decided that service members should pay for their own transfers so I had to come up with $$ quick and it was one of the things to go. I see a 35P in my future!

Bob

Not to beat a dead horse...but my 4th and last chrono is a 35P.

I think there are a couple realities on why the 35P isn't in everyone's gear box.

1. They are spendy considering other choices.
2. Not many are discerning enough to actually realize/appreciate the benefit from having a consistent/precise projectile chrono.

I can appreciate both of the statements above, having been there.

When you get it, and use it for a while...you will have one of those moments wishing you'd bought it first....just likeBroz and others have posted.

Maybe you've done a task on a vehicle, with less than the right tool....then later, done the same task with the right tool, in 10% of the time with no cuss words? And you ask yourself....why in the farckle didn't I get this tool years ago?lightbulb

This is like that moment...it's the best tool for the job....if the job involves consistent/precise velocity measurement.

Not having to worry about the warrany, IF you should have something come up like JE Custom did...that experience alone ought to persuade folks to just select an Oehler just on post purchase customer support.

Good luck and good shooting. gun)

Lifetime Warranties... I've got a problem with them. They're usually not reasonable. All warranties are only as good as the company behind them. Nothing lasts forever (except God's promises) and most things don't last a lifetime including the company that sells them. Most companies are banking that they'll be so huge that they can cover the incidental claim or the product is collecting dust in a closet and will never see the light of day again. Companies offering these great warranties can go out of business in a couple of years. As you've experienced, designs change and old models become obsolete. It's isn't reasonable to replace a complete unit because of a faulty .10 cent part. Companies shouldn't offer them and Customers shouldn't be swayed into a purchasing decision by them. One of these days, even Craftsman Tools will go out of business and that Lifetime Warranty will be useless. If you like Pact's, I'd take the discount if they'll ever send it. If they don't have one in stock, maybe they'd be willing to get one from a retailer and replace it later.

I've shot out sensors and busted sky screens on my Pact and they got them out to me in reasonable time.

My dad and I have and use a CED M2. When it works, which is about 90% of the time, it works flawlessly. The other 10% of the time it can be a temperamental pain in the *** and we even bought the IR screens to help eliminate that. CED has "ok" at best customer service. I've dealt with better and I've certainly dealt with much worse. Of the less expensive units I would say the CED M2 is the better chronograph.

Having said this, to do all over again, I would go Oehler 35 and never look back and considering I'm a little OCDish about having things "right" I most likely will have one in the near future.

IMO, the CED M2 is a good product, it's just not a great product.

you know you guys talk this stuff about reliability and warranty issues like it was an everyday thing. I've had exactly one issue with my chronograph since it was new, and that was my fault. I messed up one of the cables, and ended up buying two new defusers at $27. (one of these days I take a few minutes and fix the one I pulled the cable out of). I called them up, and told them my problem. Had a box in my hands in less than a week. The third channel hasn't proven it's worth by anybody I shoot with that owns one. Perhaps somebody else, but not around here anyway. The Ohler is a good reading piece of equipment, but not without needing improvments (it's old technology). I use my chronograph most of the time in the high noon sunlight (my range close around six in the evening). I did block some of the sunlight with two strips of tin foil, and I think it helps a little bit. The same trick helped the Ohler by the way
gary

They quoted me 197.95 with IR screens, I ordered it 3 weeks ago and as of yesterday they still hadn't shipped it so I cancelled it. My point being in the original post, they can't fix my old one they should send a new, equivalent, replacement, that is what a lifetime warranty is for.

As far as I'm concerned Pact Inc. no longer exists as an option since the warranty is worthless. What they should advertise is a 30% off coupon when your unit quits. It will be shipped whenever they get around to it. By the way, the local BBB gives them an "F" rating.

Bob

Bob,, i agree with you 1000%, if it states lifetime warranty then they shoould either "Fix It" or "Replace It"! i would lose my cool in this situation and be all over them.
i think these are the type of people i will avoid when i go shopping for an unit.

Lifetime Warranties... I've got a problem with them. They're usually not reasonable. All warranties are only as good as the company behind them. Nothing lasts forever (except God's promises) and most things don't last a lifetime including the company that sells them. Most companies are banking that they'll be so huge that they can cover the incidental claim or the product is collecting dust in a closet and will never see the light of day again. Companies offering these great warranties can go out of business in a couple of years. As you've experienced, designs change and old models become obsolete. It's isn't reasonable to replace a complete unit because of a faulty .10 cent part. Companies shouldn't offer them and Customers shouldn't be swayed into a purchasing decision by them. One of these days, even Craftsman Tools will go out of business and that Lifetime Warranty will be useless. If you like Pact's, I'd take the discount if they'll ever send it. If they don't have one in stock, maybe they'd be willing to get one from a retailer and replace it later.

I've shot out sensors and busted sky screens on my Pact and they got them out to me in reasonable time.

I do understand your feelings and I have the same reservations when I buy something new and
have not used there product or service.

One of the reasons I recomended the Oehler was there service and warranty. When they stopped
making chronographs for the public (The military had priority and they had to concentrate on there
needs) they continued to service the 33s and 35s and warranted everything. They have never
charged me for any service or parts even though the problem was my fault.

I have had other manufactures discontinue a product and the warrant went with it even though
they were still in business.

We make no bones about criticising poor service or warranties, so when a good one comes along
I like to give them credit.

J E CUSTOM

Buy the Oehler 35P and cry ONCE. I'm too cheap to buy the kind of quality items that don't last.

As far as the "Lifetime Warranty" is concerned; if a company gives such a warranty they do so KNOWING that 99% of the time it will not be used and 1% of the time they will have to bite-the-bullet and take a small loss to make good on their promise. If they don't make good on their warranty then I'd make a formal complaint to the local Consumer Affairs office and to the Better Business Bureau. Not that anything is likely to change but it is all you can really do in the way of fighting back.

Other than beating them up on the internet, of course. :D

Re: The Potential Accuracty of Chronograph Velocity Data

This link will take you to a thread with information that will give insight into what chronographs are capable of.

An Oehler 35P, an old (out of production for many years) model Oehler 33, and a PACT PC2 are all in use at the same time. If you want confidence that the reported velocity is without malfunction error, then you need an Oehler 35P or two other chronographs in order to receive two reported velocities for each bullet fired - my own opinion.

This is a long read. If you're interested enough that you read all of it, you ought to think about an Oehler 35P. If you lose interest part way into it, purchase something less expensive - understanding that you will occasionally retrieve erroneous velocity data and will have no way of identifying those erroneous data.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-oehler-35p-new-skyscreen-rail-first-test-data-60778/

This link will take you to a thread with information that will give insight into what chronographs are capable of.

An Oehler 35P, an old (out of production for many years) model Oehler 33, and a PACT PC2 are all in use at the same time. If you want confidence that the reported velocity is without malfunction error, then you need an Oehler 35P or two other chronographs in order to receive two reported velocities for each bullet fired - my own opinion.

This is a long read. If you're interested enough that you read all of it, you ought to think about an Oehler 35P. If you lose interest part way into it, purchase something less expensive - understanding that you will occasionally retrieve erroneous velocity data and will have no way of identifying those erroneous data.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-oehler-35p-new-skyscreen-rail-first-test-data-60778/

Thanks for the link,
I have actually read the entire thing, twice. I re-read it to make sure I hadn't missed anything the first time through :)

Bob

Thanks for the link,
I have actually read the entire thing, twice. I re-read it to make sure I hadn't missed anything the first time through :)

Bob

Then I think you're particular enough about this hobby that you may prefer the Oehler 35P with its proof channel. Pretty hard to find a used Oehler 35P. At least that was my experience a couple years ago. I purchased my35P straight from Oehler as soon as they began manufacturing the units again about 2 years ago.

Every now and then a used Oehler 33 will show up on eBay or elsewhere. I have two of them. One is starting to act up, but the other is working great and part of my 3-chronograph setup. But you'd need to run two Oehler 33s in tandem to get the equivalent of the proof channel that comes standard with the Oehler model 35P.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.