Chronograph distance from muzzle

aramarine6

I'm wondering what is the optimal distance for chronograph to be from the muzzle in order to get the most accurate readings without damaging the unit from muzzle blast? And will a muzzle brake change the distance at which you place the unit? I only ask this because my only experience using a chronograph is with a buddy of mine and when shooting rifles he sets up unit about 20 feet away. Is this neccessary? I feel that is to far to get an accurate reading on MV. What do you guys think?

I'm wondering what is the optimal distance for chronograph to be from the muzzle in order to get the most accurate readings without damaging the unit from muzzle blast? And will a muzzle brake change the distance at which you place the unit? I only ask this because my only experience using a chronograph is with a buddy of mine and when shooting rifles he sets up unit about 20 feet away. Is this neccessary? I feel that is to far to get an accurate reading on MV. What do you guys think?

I have found that anything less than 18' and you could get erratic readings from a magnum muzzle blast. The velocity drop from muzzle to 18' is only a few FPS. The advantages of 18' far out weigh the disadvantages.

Jeff

I have found that anything less than 18' and you could get erratic readings from a magnum muzzle blast. The velocity drop from muzzle to 18' is only a few FPS. The advantages of 18' far out weigh the disadvantages.

Jeff

Agree with Jeff. I set up at 20 ft, actually use a tape measure from muzzle of rifle to stay consistant. On small rifles I go 15 ft.

I have a permanent mount at 16 feet. I wanted the wiring to reach the bench so I could reach the readout while shooting. The chrono is mounted on a base that is set in concrete and is very solid. My son uses it with a 300 Win Mag and has never had a issue. If I was to use it on a tripod I would move it out to 20 feet. If you do a Google search you can compute the estimated velocity at the muzzle using the recorded velocity and the distance to the chrono.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.