Choosing hunting optics

Elite Muzzleloader

So I bought a Redfield Rampage a few years ago because I felt I needed a spotting scope but I don't use it no where near as I thought because I feel it's kinda awkward to carry. So now I think that a pair of 15x vortex binos might be better than a spotting scope. Yet then I think that maybe a compact 11-33x50 vortex razor spotter might be a good choice as well. FYI I do carry a 10x40 pair of binos but want something with more power while glassing for mule deer.

So my question is if you had to choose ONE glassing optic for western hunting purposes for back packing, road scouting, stand hunting, or any other style of hunting which optic would you choose.

With my experiences (and not knowing where or how you hunt) I would say that the reason you think the Redfield spotter is "awkward to carry" is because you aren't really getting a lot out of it. No offense intended (I notice that I need to lead with that often.:rolleyes:) but I think that if you had better glass, like a Vortex Razor, you would get more bang for the size/weight. If you were to set yours next to some really good glass you might not see a great deal of difference at lower powers. However with them maxed or close to it you will see a huge amount of increase in quality. That is where a spotter comes in handy. If not then a good pair of binos would be better. I went through this a few years back. I have a Nikon XL-II spotter that looks great until the upper end of power, then things go downhill somewhat. After a lot of research and testing I got a Kowa 660 series...major difference in performance!
I'm not an optics snob, I cannot afford to be.:D I had to make slow improvements over the years, but I see high price and performance optics as an investment that will last me a long time.
If I am doing the kind of hunting I like to do, setting up on a vantage point where I can see a great distance (spot and shoot), then a spotter is indispensable. But if I were to do more still hunting then I take my binos and leave the 16-25 pound long range rigs in the truck.

The 15x binos are better for finding game. But without a tripod they arnt much good. The spotting scope is better for field judging. I never go hunting without my 15's.
Vortex razors and kiababs are a solid choice but swaros are better. If it were me I would look for a used set of SLC 15x56

I've tried lots of combos and different equipment. 15x are hard to beat for all day, everyday glassing. There are times I like a spotter, but that's maybe 5min per day. I prefer 10x neck rangefinding binos and 15x in the pack for a lightweight pack. Bigger glass if I feel like hauling them, depends if I need to pack a rifle.

So I bought a Redfield Rampage a few years ago because I felt I needed a spotting scope but I don't use it no where near as I thought because I feel it's kinda awkward to carry. So now I think that a pair of 15x vortex binos might be better than a spotting scope. Yet then I think that maybe a compact 11-33x50 vortex razor spotter might be a good choice as well. FYI I do carry a 10x40 pair of binos but want something with more power while glassing for mule deer.

So my question is if you had to choose ONE glassing optic for western hunting purposes for back packing, road scouting, stand hunting, or any other style of hunting which optic would you choose.

12x50 els with an outdoorsmans stud and a slik tripod.

Everything you have listed is sub par, get one good set of bino's and one good spotter. If its quality you'll use it, the problem with cheap spotters is that they suck, I went through 4 before I got my STX, its rare that its not on my back.

Been thinking about trying to slowly upgrade everything. I haven't really looked through great optics so I don't know what I'm missing. My biggest issue is explaining to my wife how important it is to me try have good glass. She still wouldn't understand.

With all my drama aside, would a good set of 10x binos and the vortex razor 11-33x50 spotting scope be a good combo?

Looking for light weight but still do a good job?

Been thinking about trying to slowly upgrade everything. I haven't really looked through great optics so I don't know what I'm missing. My biggest issue is explaining to my wife how important it is to me try have good glass. She still wouldn't understand.

With all my drama aside, would a good set of 10x binos and the vortex razor 11-33x50 spotting scope be a good combo?

Looking for light weight but still do a good job?

I'm thinking 8X binos would be better. I don't use a spotter so can't help you there. I do know from comparing several spotters of different prices that a medium spotter is better than the best rifle scopes even if the rifle scope has twice the magnification.

I've been down the same route. I have slowly built my equipment up and my wife understands to a point. I took her to compare some budget optics and some good optics, she said she could see why I would want to upgrade. The good thing for me is the fact that I paid my truck off several years ago and she knows I would rather spend money on my shooting and hunting "needs" then spend the $35k + on a new 4x4.

As for your bino and spotter choices, that's along what I have. A decent pair of lower priced 8x Zeiss and a Kowa 660 series, both were money well spent.

I use Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD binos for most everything. I mount them on a tripod and they work well. They have good deals at Cameraland on demos. You get a $1000 pair of binoculars for $800. Something to think about anyway.

Then I have a old Bausch & Lomb 15x45 straight eyepiece spotter that weighs just 1.5 pounds that I pull out if I need to see something better.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.