Choosing a 700-800yd scope

maggie1

First thread. I've been looking for a scope for 700 to 800 yard shooting. Currently I shoot a .300win mag with a 3x9 bushnell trophy w/bdc. Its good out to 500yd. For less than $100 I cannot complain about the bushnell. It has always held on from impact of the .300. Never had any fog up problems. I don't really want a inch and a half turret sticking up. Would like a windage adjustment instead of using kentucky style. Somewhere in the 3x9x 40 size range. Would prefer not to have a big, long bulky one. I have just started looking through magazines and online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

First thread. I've been looking for a scope for 700 to 800 yard shooting. Currently I shoot a .300win mag with a 3x9 bushnell trophy w/bdc. Its good out to 500yd. For less than $100 I cannot complain about the bushnell. It has always held on from impact of the .300. Never had any fog up problems. I don't really want a inch and a half turret sticking up. Would like a windage adjustment instead of using kentucky style. Somewhere in the 3x9x 40 size range. Would prefer not to have a big, long bulky one. I have just started looking through magazines and online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

mabye the vortex viperhs 2.5-10 fits your bill

Leupold 4-14x40 cds,has low turret, dialable, 12 1/2 ''.13 0z. Vari 3, good scope.

Another vote for the CDS Leupolds. They do have a very low adjustable turret. Great glass on then and very easy to use and set up. I've got a few I'd get rid of if you are interested, just shoot me a PM.

Mac

another vote for the Viper HS. i have one and it is an excellent value for the money. turrets are tacticle type but don't stick up much and have covers. have done 2 tracking tests and it repeats great.

OP, I got your PM. You're hunting white tails at 400-800 yds. In terms of optical performance, the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm (cds) and Vortex viper hs lr 4-16x44mm are probably close, but I can't say for sure because I dont' have any notes from the last time I had the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm in my hands. The Viper HS 4-16x44 has average glare performance, at best. The Leupold VX-3 line tends to have variable glare performance amongst various models. Glare tends to be average to above average in the VX-3 line. I'm not sure if you want an illuminated reticle or not.

Frankly, given your target range, I would recommend a milling reticle to give you more accurate wind hold-offs. That alone would push you toward the Viper lines, despite the other Leupold advantages (lower weight, better optical performance). A viable alternative below your price range would be the Burris MTAC 4.5-14x44, which I found had good (above average) glare performance. I'm not wild about the AO focus control, but it works. The scope is made in the Philippines. Possibly above your price range is the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with mildot reticle - very good optical performance. Both of these scopes are similar in weight to the VX-3.

My 300 hunting rifle has a Sightron II big Sky 4x16x42mm. It weights 15.9 oz, has a fog coating and tracks perfectly. Great glass, low turrets and a lifetime replacement guarantee. 16 power is plenty for 800 yards on an animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.