Choice of custom barrels

TackDriv3r

I will have my Rem 700 6BR rebarreled soon, was thinking a 28 to 30 inch pipe with 8 twist to use the 105 Bergers and 107 MatchKings. I know there are several custom barrels to choose from, but I was leaning on a Shilen Select Match Grade unless there are any better. Hope there are some 6BR guys chiming in soon with their experiences in barrel selection, twist and length.

Cheers!!

Sounds like you picked a good one. Honestly if you stay with one of the top brands you can't go wrong. I have had some really good harts also. Can't complain about my hart barrel. And the twist sounds right also.

Criterion barrels are garbage. It's what Weatherby was using for the last decade or so (instead of real Krieger cut-rifled barrels like they used to), and was the blank used on my factory AccuMark that went to crap in less than 75 rounds, and started caving in. I would pony-up the cash for a real Krieger (owns Criterion) cut-rifled barrel before spending a penny on a Criterion.

Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, Proof Research, Obermeyer, Rock Creek...Any of the major name brands should be good.

I'd encourage you to take a look at Benchmark Barrels. I own a few and have loaded for several more, all achieve half MOA with little load development. Also you can search "what the pros use " and will see they are used by many of the top bench rest shooters. As others have said, any of the top makers will be great.

A fellow gunsmithing friend of mine who builds Br's and Dashers like crazy buys Krieger by the 20 pack, it's amazing to see how many times a guy will try another barrel then a few months later he's screwing on a Krieger which sure makes a guy pay attention, I use a lot of other barrels in my shop but when I built my personal Dasher I got a Krieger!

Thanks for the good info guys, I'll looks into all those barrel makers before I make a selection.

Cheers!!

Criterion barrels are garbage. It's what Weatherby was using for the last decade or so (instead of real Krieger cut-rifled barrels like they used to), and was the blank used on my factory AccuMark that went to crap in less than 75 rounds, and started caving in. I would pony-up the cash for a real Krieger (owns Criterion) cut-rifled barrel before spending a penny on a Criterion.

Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, Proof Research, Obermeyer, Rock Creek...Any of the major name brands should be good.

i'd like to hear more about this

I would definitely think about a Broughton as well. Just put one on my 6.5-284 and couldn't be happier. Tim is a great guy to deal with as well.

Caving in?

I have one. Shoots good. Solid 1/2 moa or better when I don't cave in. For me it wasn't so much the money, although the price was good, as it was that they offered a pre-fit with reasonable wait times. I don't have a lot of rounds down the pipe yet. What do you mean by caving in?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.