CheyTac based wildcats

They did not make it for me, they made it for a friend of mine. I was involved in the testing.
It's simply called a .358-.408.
Left to right....338, .358, .375.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 120
They did not make it for me, they made it for a friend of mine. I was involved in the testing.
Cool.

Any data on why the 338 was more accurate than the 358?

Well, though I don't want take any credit, since you never told anyone else, it seems to be a case of great minds think alike. I made the design because of the existence of the bullet. You deserve all and huge credit since you made the bullet happen and did the testing.

So, I did make it up on my own because I had no external input except for the existence of the bullet but that happens a lot. Same as I take no credit for "designing" the 26-Nosler wildcats. I just made mine happen. Many others made the .284/7mm probably even before I did but they are not sharing.

As for "silly", who knew. Sorry about that.

No worries Fred..
I would have to say that the bullets are the main reason that the .338 has shown to be more accurate.
The solids are notorious for exhibiting inconsistent groups at extended ranges.

No worries Fred..
I would have to say that the bullets are the main reason that the .338 has shown to be more accurate.
The solids are notorious for exhibiting inconsistent groups at extended ranges.
That's good to know.

How far out did you guys go?

Perhaps if we make the chamberings and rifles, someone will make us a decent jacketed.

When you're shooting the solids out of those cases, have you found the need for a gain twist barrel, or has conventional rifling worked for you? The logic behind running a progressive twist barrel for heavy solids makes sense to reduce stress on the relatively small driving band. I'm just curious if it's proven to be necessary in real word applications.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.