CheyTac based wildcats

yorke-1

I have the bug to build a gun based on the CheyTac case for ELR shooting. At the moment I'm looking for opinions on which cartridge to go with. I'm leaning towards a 375, but I've considered a 416/408 Improved to shoot bullets intended for the 416 Barrett.

If I go with a 375 variant, the next question is which version? A straight 375 CT is nothing to laugh at but if I'm going to go over the top, why not go all the way? I haven't reached out to Kirby Allen or Dave Veirs yet about their versions. I considered coming up with my own variant as well just to have something different. I originally thought about moving the shoulder back a little and improving the case to make a sort of 375 "BR" style case to run out of a 19" Specialty Pistol.

One concern that I have is the availability of the gain twist barrels. Those seem to be the preferred barrels in a lot of the big 375s if the solids are going to be used. I run a 1-10" on my current 375 BME shooting the 350gr MK at over 3000fps. I haven't tried any of the heavier solids out of it yet to see how they perform. Is the gain twist really necessary, or just helpful?

Andrew

Hmmmm,

Kirby's and Dave's 375 offerings are close enough to be considered identical.

I went with Kirby's 375 AM I've dealt with him on another rig and the 375 AM is enough over the top that the only thing bigger is some kind of a large Russian offering.:roll eyes:

I'm not a solids shooter and tip 350 SMKs w/a brass point. I'm awaiting for someone to come up with a 375 or 400 grain offerings. I figure that is where the growth will come from. Then there would be a significant advantage over the big 338 offerings.

Currently its nothing more than a 338 AM or SnipeTac with a 50 gr heavier bullet.

I've got'r down to under the 16 pound Idaho big game weight limit. It would be much tougher with a larger caliber.

Good luck.

How about a 358 CheyTac with a 35 Degree shoulder to drive the CEB 340 grns MTH

How about a 358 CheyTac with a 35 Degree shoulder to drive the CEB 340 grns MTH

I didn't even realize that CEB was making a 358 bullet. That's interesting to say the least!

Royinidaho, do you mind explaining in a little more detail what you're doing with the 350 SMK? I've pointed bullets before, but are you actually adding a brass tip to them?

Andrew

.338 usually hangs in the mid teens, with best of 3.806".
.358 was always much bigger and never a uniform group which is indicative of the solids....

The .338-.408 shooting the 300 SMK has proven to be more accurate. On paper at 1,760 yards.

Is this just between the .338 and .358, or with the 408 based rounds in general? You have a version called the 338 Big Baer right? I considered a 338-408, but I already have a long throated Edge that's running 300 gr Bergers at 3000 fps (it's a freakishly fast barrel!). It seems like the next step would be bullets in the 400gr class.

Is this just between the .338 and .358, or with the 408 based rounds in general? You have a version called the 338 Big Baer right? I considered a 338-408, but I already have a long throated Edge that's running 300 gr Bergers at 3000 fps (it's a freakishly fast barrel!). It seems like the next step would be bullets in the 400gr class.

I was answering based on the comment about the .358, but the .375 has proven to exhibit the same...
One of my rifles was chambered in .338 BB, but I have since designed my own reamer and made a few worthwhile changes.

I was answering based on the comment about the .358, but the .375 has proven to exhibit the same...
One of my rifles was chambered in .338 BB, but I have since designed my own reamer and made a few worthwhile changes.

So your preference is for the 338 over the 375?

The .338-.408 shooting the 300 SMK has proven to be more accurate. On paper at 1,760 yards.

Now that's just a silly thing to say. There is no .358 CheyTac with a 35 degree shoulder designed to shoot the CEB 340grn MTH E01 on the planet because I just made it up. gun)

Well on second thought maybe a 338/408 is more accurate because it actually exists.:D

Now that's just a silly thing to say. There is no .358 CheyTac with a 35 degree shoulder designed to shoot the CEB 340grn MTH E01 on the planet because I just made it up. gun)

Well on second thought maybe a 338/408 is more accurate because it actually exists.:D

No you didn't.

No that's just a silly thing to say...

No you didn't.

No that's just a silly thing to say...
I never heard of it so when the MTH E01 shows up, I drew it up.

Did CEB make the bullet for you?

Cool, I hate reinventing the wheel. Any pictures? What's it called?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.