Cheap 6x284?

buffalorancher

I know everyone is probably getting tired of 6 mm discussions but I thought I would pick some more knowledgeable brains before I move ahead on a new project. What I am wanting is a 6x284 pick up gun. I already have one 6x284 and it is a great rifle and I enjoy it even with some of it's short comings but I can't bring myself to haul around in my pick up a rifle that cost almost 5K to build. Since my day job is ranching I get to do a lot of drving and I would like a rifle that isn't a *** but something that won't break my heart when the dog knocks it over. The rifle would have to be long action with a reasonably fast twist but I don't want a 12 lb rifle either. My bullet inventory in 6 mm goes from 87 gr to 115 gr so I could even live with a 10 twist and try 95 gr BT's. The first thing that comes to mind is rebarreling a Savage. Does anybody have a better idea or done something like this? I am not on a budget so that's not the major factor here. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lance

THe Savage rifles generally shoot extremely well, I would personally recommend rebarreling and machining the barrel in the same manner as a Rem 700. THis has worked out very well with my customers.

In many cases, the Savage receivers are pretty **** true as they come from the factory because they use a floating bolt head. If your not looking for 1/4 moa groups and can be happy with a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle at worst, I would say get a Savage and rebarrel it with a #3 or #4 Lilja with a 1-9 or 1-10 twist. I personally would go with a 1-9 6 groove just so that you could shoot any bullet you wanted up to the 105 to 107 gr long range bullets as well as the light varmint bullets.

Stock wise, there are several you could use that would not break the bank and be very functional. Obviously the McMillans would be on top of the list for quality but there are others that are lower priced that would still serve you well.

How did your whitetail herd make it through the winter????? Save me a biggun!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Their is a fella here that has a long action for sale for $325 , get a good barrel say a Rock Creek with #4 conture and have it fluted thats gonna cost about $400 , have those fitted together with a Holland lug with a cost of about $350 then get a Hightech Specialties stock $200 and have it installed and painted $150-$200. For under $2000 you will have a very nice light weight rifle that will shoot great. I'm guessing that the weight should be somwhere around 7lbs.

You can get it done for ALOT less depending on exactly what it is you expect of the gun.

Kirby,
This is what I was contemplating and I would like to see if the Lilja barrel would let me shoot the A-Max's I've got left. Does Savage have a factory stock that is decent if bedded? Possibly a laminate? I don't know Savage models and numbers.

The deer herd is doing very well. In our never ending quest to screw the neighbors we have succeeded by wintering most of the deer for god knows how many miles up and down the river. The problem is we had fairly high carry over and a dry summer could cause problems. The flip side is we will have 200 tags in our unit with each one worth 2 does. If we make it through the summer OK I will hopefully be able to nail a few with a new APS long range hot rod.
Lance

MidwayUSA carries Savage factory replacement stocks and they have one for a sporter weight long action I know. I got one for my 270 AM sporter a few years back. Pretty reasonable as well and once pillar bedded a great stock choice.

Good to hear about your deer. I am sure the herd will be thinned a bit this fall with an APS rifle!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.