Chasing my tail with 100 yard zero

My buddy gave me some Kroil, the smith that built my gun said to soak the bore with Kroil and then brush to remove the carbon. I am going to try BignGreen's method and run a couple of patches of JB paste first and see what happens. I have never brushed this bore very much, usually only patching out, this is probably how I got a carbon mess. From what my buddy told me, the carbon is most of the way down the barrel, so I have some work to do.

Let us know how it goes. The brass bore brush and KG1 did well for my AR-15. I'd been using the KG1 solely on patches previously, and that didn't keep up with the carbon after close to 200 rounds fired.

I don't own a bore scope, but I wouldn't think a brass bore brush would hurt your bore any, provided you're using a good bore guide and cleaning rod.

I am about 50 plus strokes into this cleaning process, started with a patch with JB, short stroked that and boy did it come out black. I patched the bore clean and followed with wipeout accelerator with about 20 strokes with a new brass brush and followed that with wipeout and let sit for about 3 hours. Patched that out and soaked the bore with kroil, brushed about 20 strokes and patched that out. Hit it with the wipe out accelerator again with the brash brush and followed with wipeout patch out and another 20 strokes and it is sitting for the rest of the night. This makes me re think my cleaning technique on my other guns. And to think, I would have never known this was happening without the use of a bore scope.

Day three of cleaning, still getting black out of the bore, I ran another patch of JB down the bore and black again, followed with more brushing, more wipeout accelerator and wipeout, patch and more black, let it sit over night brush some more and more black. I have high hopes for my groups once I get this bore clean. I had no idea it could be this bad and would have never known without the look through the bore scope. Never again to patch only! I better go brush the bore again............

I'm sure your bore is clean, I would not do any more bore paste. Patches will always come out black, that's not carbon fouling, it's the steel from your barrel that is being lapped out from the paste. Time to go shoot again!

Yeah, the JB Bore Paste will continue to yield black patches even on a clean bore.

That's the advantage of the KG1 carbon remover fluid used with the brass bore brush. When you get grayish black staining using these, it's carbon. When you no longer get gray/black, the carbon is gone. Then clean with KG12 or Bore Tech Eliminator to remove copper.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think my bore is clean. Two nights of letting the bore sit soaked with kroil, then 3 sessions of 50 strokes of a brass brush and finally pretty clean patches. I loaded up 10 loads of my 101 gr RL33 in front of the 300 gr accubond and will foul the bore in the morning. I am curious if my velocity goes up since the bore isn't restricted now. More to come..............

Usually I find my velocity drops then comes back after a couple rounds because you have less resistance which equals less pressure and in return less velocity. I hope this work out for ya and everything comes back in where it should!

Thanks for your help BignGreen. We looked at the bore today with the bore scope and it looks great. A little bit of heat checks just past the throat, but overall very good. I am heading to the range in a few minutes to see how she shoots and check velocity. I gave up counting how many strokes with a brass brush, but I think I wore out two new brushes and probably 1500 strokes over 5 days of cleaning. Kroil works very well at softening the carbon and JB works well to break the glaze.

Now I am waiting for a response from Sightron to tell me there is nothing wrong with my scope. Maybe I will have them install a moa reticle and different top turret.

Just a little follow up, went to the range and actually shot some groups. 300 gr accubonds shot about a 3/4 inch group. I moved on to the 300 gr bergers and I had the magneto speed hanging on the end of the barrel and my velocity was very close to when shooting with the fouled bore. I only had two shells left when I decided to remove the magneto speed and put two shots in the same hole. I loaded some more shells several with 102 grs of rl33 to see if I can pressure out or close the group.

I got a call from Sightron today. The scope I sent in tracks perfect. The rep told me that I have a first gen SIII and that they had very weak clicks on the turrets. He said they would fix those. I had told him I was interested in a MOA reticle and a tactical elevation turret. He told me they could install both of those for 200.00 and I gave him the go ahead and told him I can't wait to get my Sightron back because shooting with the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 just isn't the same.

I've followed Sightron scope threads on forums for a long time now. It's very rare to find incidents where they puke their guts under the forces of rifle recoil. They're putting them together properly to resist recoil, and reverse recoil, based on the lack of evidence of "failed"/broken Sightrons.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.