Chasing my tail with 100 yard zero

I clean down normal using KG carbon cleaner then hit the bore with KG bore polish giving it a little extra in the throat for matanance then clean out with a heavy dose of carb cleaner again, every couple hundred rounds. Carbon SUXS!!

I am in Bozeman visiting my daughter this weekend, so looks like a trip to Sportsman's warehouse is in order to get some carbon removing product like KG. I have been using wipe out and just patching for a while, so it looks like it isn't quite enough.

I am in Bozeman visiting my daughter this weekend, so looks like a trip to Sportsman's warehouse is in order to get some carbon removing product like KG. I have been using wipe out and just patching for a while, so it looks like it isn't quite enough.

My daughter goes to school there too.:)

Steve

Now I need to buy some new bronze brushes and start cleaning out carbon that wipe out didn't remove
and see if my problem goes away. My thought is it will.

apparently u arn't using Bore Tech Eliminator.

I'd strongly recommend BTW and nylon burshes.

BTW has proven its self by many very serious shooters.

Just say'n

apparently u arn't using Bore Tech Eliminator.

I'd strongly recommend BTW and nylon burshes.

BTW has proven its self by many very serious shooters.

Just say'n

So, Roy, you recommend Bore Tech Eliminator? My buddy has my gun right now and he has had it soaking with Butches Bore shine and another product that he really likes hasn't touched the carbon so far. He hasn't been scrubbing the bore with a brush, because he said he would save that for me. I might go back to sportsman's this morning and buy some bore tech eliminator. I did buy some JB paste, because I remember it being good at removing tough fouling, but another buddy told me the smith that built my gun advises strongly against using JB. Does anyone else have an opinion on JB. I bought a new jag, because the last one I bought is too tight for a single patch.

If you have a true carbon cake you need the JB or some kind of abrasive, just a tight patch, you'll be done in a minute or two. Just don't go after it like lapping, a few short strokes in the offending area and push the patch through then clean and inspect. Brushes are pretty much obsolete, way to much effort which translates into running that rod through critical areas more.
I'm a firm believer that changing cleaners does good, I've followed guys who cleaned to white patches with Boretech and I could see the carbon with my eye and the borescope revealed a mountain of carbon, I used several different cleaners and I'd get a little more out but eventually they showed a clean patch. One patch with abrasive and it came out black and gummed up, next three solvent patches were caked with carbon sludge, you just have to break the glaze or what ever happens and it'll come clean.
Just be aware that the abrasive patch will always come out black with either carbon or metal so just do a patch or two and clean normal no need to lap it out :D

It seems to be a popular place to attend, my daughter is in her 4th year of a PHD program in the microbiology program at MSU and I am not smart enough to describe it much better.

Wow that is cool stuff. Maybe she can use her education to come up with a better way to get rid of carbon fouling. My daughter is going to be an accountant. Bean counter.

Steve

I clean down normal using KG carbon cleaner then hit the bore with KG bore polish giving it a little extra in the throat for maintenance then clean out with a heavy dose of carb cleaner again, every couple hundred rounds. Carbon SUXS!!

With a bore scope, is there visual evidence that HBN coated bullets reduces carbon caking in the throat area? Had any experiences to lead to any conclusions one way or the other?

I like the KG 1 carbon cleaner, but I don't have access to a bore scope to see exactly what's going on in the bores. Never tried KG bore polish, but having just spent some time researching it, I may pick some up and use it as you're suggesting. Those commenting speak well of the polish - all in all.

If you have a true carbon cake you need the JB or some kind of abrasive, just a tight patch, you'll be done in a minute or two. Just don't go after it like lapping, a few short strokes in the offending area and push the patch through then clean and inspect. Brushes are pretty much obsolete, way to much effort which translates into running that rod through critical areas more.
I'm a firm believer that changing cleaners does good, I've followed guys who cleaned to white patches with Boretech and I could see the carbon with my eye and the borescope revealed a mountain of carbon, I used several different cleaners and I'd get a little more out but eventually they showed a clean patch. One patch with abrasive and it came out black and gummed up, next three solvent patches were caked with carbon sludge, you just have to break the glaze or what ever happens and it'll come clean.
Just be aware that the abrasive patch will always come out black with either carbon or metal so just do a patch or two and clean normal no need to lap it out :D

Bigngreen,

Should I use a jag with a patch with JB? I also have some remington 60x. I wasn't able to find any KG1 at sportsmans warehouse or bore tech either. I did pick up some butches bore shine and some wipeout tactical and wipeout accelerator to try.

I would, just grease up a patch with JB and give it a half dozen strokes in the first few inches then push it out, this will loosen the offending area and give just a little to the rest of the bore. Patch out and check the bore, if it keeps coming with a patch just work that. The bad stuff happens with the abrasive cleaner when guys work it looking for a clean patch and they hone out their throats, you don't need to lap out the carbon!

The other key to using any bore paste is to make sure you completely clean out the bore before you shoot it again. And never shoot a dry bore so my final patch after any time I clean has a few drops of Kroil on it.

Bigngreen,

Should I use a jag with a patch with JB? I also have some remington 60x. I wasn't able to find any KG1 at sportsmans warehouse or bore tech either. I did pick up some butches bore shine and some wipeout tactical and wipeout accelerator to try.

Midway has KG1 carbon cleaner.

The only rifle I had with very many rounds down the bore was an AR-15. So I found the instructions from KG on the web, and used their KG1 carbon cleaner on this .224 bore. They say patch the bore with KG1 a couple times. Then soak a brass brush with KG1 and work the brush thru the bore about 10 times. I went back and forth thru the bore about 15 times. Then dry patch. Then a wet KG1 patch to see if any more gray is removed from the bore.

I was surprised at how much carbon came out of the bore on the patch following the brass bore brush. I could feel a little roughness in the first 6" or so out from the chamber using the brush initially. Then it was pretty smooth and consistent down the rest of the bore. After I was done with the bore brush, other than removing the loose residue, I didn't really get any additional carbon stains on the following patches. And the bore looked and felt very smooth. This is a chromed 5.56 bore.

I then removed copper using Bore Tech Eliminator.

Just saying the KG1 applied following KG's instructions for use seemed to work very well on my bore. I didn't know there was any carbon fouling in there, but reading this Thread caused me to clean for carbon with the KG1 product.

Some background on this bore: I had maybe 125 rounds down this bore prior to cleaning it 2 weeks ago. I'd used KG1 and Bore Tech Eliminator 2 weeks ago, but I didn't use the brass bore brush 2 weeks ago. I then fired 25 rounds last weekend. Then yesterday cleaned with KG1 and the brass bore brush, not really expecting to find carbon. But there was carbon in there. So it appears I also need to pay more attention to a periodic carbon removal cleaning process. I'd used KG1 for about 6 years now, but this is the first time I used it with the brass bore brush as their instructions recommended.

Would be nice to own a bore scope. I've been too miserly to purchase one...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.