Change gear question

grit

My lathe came with a pile of change gears. Most of these gears are metal. Two of the gears are some sort of composite material. Color of cardboard, an obvious weave pattern on the surface. My first thought is these two gears are patterns. But, these composite gears are very stout.

Anybody know if these are actual gears?

I have decided they're real gears. I'm giving them a test drive. I'd still appreciate being educated. I googled and found nothing....

Gears today are made of many different materials, fiber, plastic, composits, and all different metals (brass, aluminum, steels). Each has their own application, with those made of the various steels being the strongest, plastic or stainless steel used any place it might come into contact with "goods" for human consumption (S.S. used if the load is great, plastic if it is a lesser load). Those applications 'cross' each other, sometimes, as long as the material the gear is made of is strong enough to withstand the task it is being used for. Your composit gears will run quieter than steel gears. They are probably not original to your lathe, but, gears that were replaced or added later in its life. They won't last as long as steel gears, but will "do the job" for awhile.

Thanks. They're runnin'. I'll watch the wear. I'd be interested to find the specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.