Change gear question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by grit, Mar 2, 2012.

1. grit

grit Well-Known Member

My lathe came with a pile of change gears. Most of these gears are metal. Two of the gears are some sort of composite material. Color of cardboard, an obvious weave pattern on the surface. My first thought is these two gears are patterns. But, these composite gears are very stout.

Anybody know if these are actual gears?

2. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I have decided they're real gears. I'm giving them a test drive. I'd still appreciate being educated. I googled and found nothing....

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Gears today are made of many different materials, fiber, plastic, composits, and all different metals (brass, aluminum, steels). Each has their own application, with those made of the various steels being the strongest, plastic or stainless steel used any place it might come into contact with "goods" for human consumption (S.S. used if the load is great, plastic if it is a lesser load). Those applications 'cross' each other, sometimes, as long as the material the gear is made of is strong enough to withstand the task it is being used for. Your composit gears will run quieter than steel gears. They are probably not original to your lathe, but, gears that were replaced or added later in its life. They won't last as long as steel gears, but will "do the job" for awhile.

4. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Thanks. They're runnin'. I'll watch the wear. I'd be interested to find the specs.