Barrel change

buster2765

Hello, My question in about rebarreling my savage 112 magnum target 338lm. My issue is not with the barrel nut done plenty of those (and have the tools needed for that). The action is currently at LRI having a Proof Research barrel attached via shouldering( for hunting). It I wanted to pull that barrel off and put the factory barrel on with barrel nut for summer plinking what is the process & extra tools and gauges needed to reinstall my hunting barrel via shouldering. Nothing against giving my local smith more business but if I can do it myself I will.

I take it both barrels are 338LM? If so, all that's needed is the "GO" gage and a "NO-GO". You'll need a barrel vise and action wrench to remove/install the Proof barrel. This is NOT something I would do. I'd leave that Proof barrel alone after it has been installed. You've paid "good" money to have LRI chamber and fit that Proof Reasearch barrel. If I thought I needed both a 'plinker' and a 'hunter' I'd set-up 2 rifles. Here I am, thinking that the Proof barrel will be carbon wrapped. Be aware that brass probably won't be interchangeable from barrel to barrel, swap to swap. There are no "free rides". Maybe you don't expect as much as I do, when it comes to brass/accuracy/convenience when reloading those cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.