Barrel thread protecters POA change?

elmerdeer

I had my gunsmith make me a muzzle thread protecter for my barrel when my muzzle brake is off of it, and I wanted some thing that my POA would not change much? Anyways he made me a thread protecter the same length and weight of my muzzle brake except for the hole in the front it is just open to .400", not like my muzzle brake which is for a 7mm.
I have not shot it yet so I dont know what the POA will be and if it will be a big change , has anyone done something similar? And what did you expierience? was the POA the same?
Thanks
Elmer

I had my gunsmith make me a muzzle thread protecter for my barrel when my muzzle brake is off of it, and I wanted some thing that my POA would not change much? Anyways he made me a thread protecter the same length and weight of my muzzle brake except for the hole in the front it is just open to .400", not like my muzzle brake which is for a 7mm.
I have not shot it yet so I dont know what the POA will be and if it will be a big change , has anyone done something similar? And what did you expierience? was the POA the same?
Thanks
Elmer
yes, I have. and if by POA you mean point of impact, then the answer is yes, the point of impact will change. How much, ??? every one i've done is different. usually not by "much". It has to change, as you've changed the dynamics of bullet exit by adding or removing the brake. Just shoot gun with and without brake, and if your smith did a good job on the protector (so it mates up the same each time ) then point of impact should remain constant

Thanks
Elmer

The barrel harmonics may be the same but the POI may change due to the effect of the break
on the barrel.

You are on the right track though by trying to keep everything the same.

I am trying to build a break that can be opened or closed with out removing it.(I know there
are others doing the same thing I just like expermenting).

The idea is to only change the port openings and not the bore dimensions or the weight.

It may still not hold the same point of impact (POI) but it's worth a try.

Let us know how it works.

J E CUSTOM

The barrel harmonics may be the same but the POI may change due to the effect of the break
on the barrel.

You are on the right track though by trying to keep everything the same.

I am trying to build a break that can be opened or closed with out removing it.(I know there
are others doing the same thing I just like expermenting).

The idea is to only change the port openings and not the bore dimensions or the weight.

It may still not hold the same point of impact (POI) but it's worth a try.

Let us know how it works.

J E CUSTOM
On sunday I will be shooting and let you know when I'am back?
Thanks
Elmer

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.