Chamber temp

RichCoyle

The other day I mentioned in another thread I was going to fire some Lee Factory Crimp Die test and while I was at it, check the chamber temperature. Usually I cool the chamber below 85* before I fire another shot.

The day didn't start off very good. Normally after I clean the barrel, I fire two fouling shots. The second one ruptured a little above the head and almost cut itself in two. The temperature was about 63* before I fired. The temperature in the chamber after the first one was about 80*. When the second case came out almost cut in two, I was so concerned about flame cutting the chamber I forgot to stick the cooking thermometer back in.

By the time I got around to begin firing groups the chamber was 68*. It went up to 80* after the shot.
I stuck the barrel kul back in for a couple minutes and then fired another. The temperature went up to 84*.
When the barrel was cooled to 79* I fired again and the chamber went up to 90*.
After the barrel was cooled back to 84* I fired another. When I opened the bolt, the brass case was still in the chamber. I have no idea why. The load is the same load I used last week for the primer test; which consisted of fifteen shots with this load.

The folding rod was in the other gun case. So, gentlemen, that was the end of the test until Wednesday.