Cellular Trail Cams

JimFromTN

Cellular trail cams have finally come down in price to where I can justify buying one. I was looking at some on Amazon and its hard to find one that does not have allot of bad reviews. The $200 ones get decent reviews but I was hoping to get something for $100 or less. Most that are $130 or less have fairly bad reviews. Do I need to wait longer or is there a less expensive one that is halfway decent?

Tactacam reveal has been pretty simple and have worked much better than spypoint. Get one, test it out and see how you like it.
I've heard nothing but good things about Tactacam as well. I couple buddy's use multiple cams and always have great pics and connectivity. I wish I knew if Tactacam would work on T-mobile as that's the best carrier for reception where I want to put them.

All of the carriers use other carriers towers as well as towers owned by third parties. Every carrier has areas of poor /weak coverage in areas you would not expect as well as areas you might expect. Height position on towers, type of equipment, power, back haul from tower to an internet backbone all play into the equation. I have been in the industry for over 30 years and even though I only deal in billing, small carriers at that, I have learned a lot of things.

There are still several rural carriers out there that have to partner up with a major so they can offer their customers "a Roaming" experience that looks like you are always "Home". The big guys are the same way. Everyone of the big guys look at one thing, profitability. If the area is not profitable it will be the last to be addressed if they ever do it. The smaller local carriers, they actually care way more about their customers. You'll normally get better service and better customer service. You might not get the latest wham bam "iPhone 42 or Galaxy 75S" but you get a personal touch from folks that are part of your community.

Also on the trail cams, make sure that the cam can be added to your cell plan. I have seen some that you can't add the camera to your plan, you have to use the manufacturers plan which is often more costly and often is used to offset the costs of the cam and allow for greater profit margins.

All of the carriers use other carriers towers as well as towers owned by third parties. Every carrier has areas of poor /weak coverage in areas you would not expect as well as areas you might expect. Height position on towers, type of equipment, power, back haul from tower to an internet backbone all play into the equation. I have been in the industry for over 30 years and even though I only deal in billing, small carriers at that, I have learned a lot of things.

There are still several rural carriers out there that have to partner up with a major so they can offer their customers "a Roaming" experience that looks like you are always "Home". The big guys are the same way. Everyone of the big guys look at one thing, profitability. If the area is not profitable it will be the last to be addressed if they ever do it. The smaller local carriers, they actually care way more about their customers. You'll normally get better service and better customer service. You might not get the latest wham bam "iPhone 42 or Galaxy 75S" but you get a personal touch from folks that are part of your community.

Also on the trail cams, make sure that the cam can be added to your cell plan. I have seen some that you can't add the camera to your plan, you have to use the manufacturers plan which is often more costly and often is used to offset the costs of the cam and allow for greater profit margins.
GOOD INFO HERE..... THANKS....

My experience is with Spypoint. The plus is they work with all carriers and I can get signal even in remote parts of Alberta. Still on the fence about their reliabilty. Only had them for a year, do not seem to react well to being left out year round. They still work at -40 but they aren't near as waterproof as I think they should be. Had two Micro Solars replaced under the two year warranty becasue they quit working completely after surviving from Nov 2021 to June 2022 hanging on trees. There was a lot more corrosion and water in the Lithium battery compartment than I think there should be.

The good part is, being 300 miles away, you can't check the cards so nice to get the pictures every day. The first 100 pictures are free every 30 days, over that they are stored on the sim, or you can buy a 5 a month plan for 250, 10 for 500 and 15 for unlimited. Will run the 4 we have a while longer to see how they hold up. If they were put out for the 3 or 4 months around hunting season they would be fine I think.

Last edited:
My experience is with Spypoint. The plus is they work with all carriers and I can get signal even in remore parts of Alberta. Still on the fence about their reliabilty. Only had them for a year, do not seem to react well to being left out year round. They still work at -40 but they aren't near as waterproof as I think they should be. Had two Micro Solars replaced under the two year warranty becasue they quit working completely after surviving from Nov 2021 to June 2022 hanging on trees. There was a lot more corrosion and water in the Lithium battery compartment than I think there should be.

The good part is, being 300 miles away, you can't check the cards so nice to get the pictures every day. Will run the 4 we have a while longer to see how they hold up. If they were put out for the 3 or 4 months around hunting season they would be fine I think.
Thanks for the info. Spypoint was the only other one I've heard anything about and they do seem to work in our area.

I added the various Spypoint Picture plan details to my first post in case u are interested.

Last edited: