CCI Primers?

Last summer I had a few misfires with Rem 9 1/2M primers. The same cases/loads worked well with other primers. Never thought when taking them apart to check to see if the primer ignited. Bolt had been cleaned only a few weeks prior. These misfires occurred with the same primers in 2 different rifles--7mm/08 and 22/250.

Primer looked fine and it was retumbo power that I use all the time same load and batch worked this year for elk no problems
Sounds like a bad primer batch. From what you've written above I don't think there is likely anything wrong with your bolt. Especially if this is the first time you're having the issue with that rifle and load recipe combo.
But I could be wrong too. There are a couple very intelligent gunsmiths that will likely read this thread and chime in if needed.

I had a custom-built rifle on Remington 700 blueprinted action, during warm weather no problems, however, when the temp dropped below 30 degrees I had several misfires. The problem was small shaving inside bolt from when it was manufactured, just enough resistance to cause a delayed light strike. Pulled firing pin, changed to 28 lb spring, polished firing pin, cleaned inside of bolt body, lubed then wiped off all excess, and never had another problem. What was the temperature that the misfires happened?

Only primers I've ever had misfire were CCIs. Not many, like 3. The gun is/was fine and shot hundreds of primers before and after these fail-2-fire primers.
I almost exclusively use Federal

I had a custom-built rifle on Remington 700 blueprinted action, during warm weather no problems, however, when the temp dropped below 30 degrees I had several misfires. The problem was small shaving inside bolt from when it was manufactured, just enough resistance to cause a delayed light strike. Pulled firing pin, changed to 28 lb spring, polished firing pin, cleaned inside of bolt body, lubed then wiped off all excess, and never had another problem. What was the temperature that the misfires happened?

I never had one that I could attribute to CCI. I had a few with a new T/C Encore 204 Ruger barrel about 25 years ago. Turned out to be excess headspace. Shimmed the firing pin bushing and never happened again.

I would double check The headspace. Was it new brass?
I would put my gauge on a fired case then pull the bullets and check the misfired case with the gauge if it's over -.005 that's probably the culprit

I have used CCI primers my whole reloading career.

In the last two years, I have had problems with large rifle magnums and small pistol magnums. Not a bunch of mis-fires but enough to take note of.

These are the only problem primers I have had since 1979 when I first started reloading.

I bought a box of 1000 cci magnum primers about four months ago. I'm about 150 into the brick and had two misfires in the same 50 rounds. Tried them twice before I ejected and it showed full contact from the firing pin, but never went off. Anyone else run into this?
What were you loading for? I had trouble with CCI MAG primers with I thought wasn't going off. Turns out they were going off but weren't hot enough to burn the powder charge. Pulled the bullets and the powder was caked and looked simular to dried tar. Called tech support and had heated conversation with tech guy he connected me to his boss who told me they were not meant to ignite that much powder (146 grains of 50 BMG) and to use only Federal 215 primers which I normally did but couldent get at the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts