Cast lead for long range hunting?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 94Winchester, Jul 13, 2010.

1. 94Winchester

94Winchester Well-Known Member

Having read a bit about paper patched cast lead bullets I have become interested the idea of casting precision vld lead bullets for long range hunting(and because I recently watched Quigley Down Under). From what I have read, with a combination of paper patching the bullet and using a low pressure load I can throw a lead bullet as fast if not faster than modern loads with jacketed bullets(with the same amounts of powder a lead bullet will go faster that jacketed bullets), and would result in a longer barrel life and cheaper ammo. Would this work or is it a crazy idea?

2. I suspect that cast lead couldn't handle the pressure and heat of any modern loads going near 3000 fps. I think the lead might even start to melt and leave significant deposits in the barrel.

To go really long range I think you'd have to go with a really big bullet from a 45cal+ barrel and lob them in.

3. 94Winchester

94Winchester Well-Known Member

The paper patching and a low pressure load should prevent that.

The person who wrote the article linked below was able to shoot a lead bullet with out paper patching at 2,690 fps.

Low Pressure & High Velocity with Cast Bullets - Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors (JHO)