case welding?

I have factory ammo that is 10-15 years old that obviously has some visible changes to it.

Some corrosion maybe, but certainly they are not weldied... A huge difference IMHO.................
thumb.gif

I tried BBs experiment with some .300wbys I had loaded last year, but took it one step further. I found that the bullets were definately harder to move than freshly loaded rounds. I also found that they shoot to almost but not quite the same point of impact at 725 yards. I wish that I was using the same lot of powder and primers and bullets so I could say for certian that these did not account for the 1/2 MOA point of impact shift. There are just too many variables to say whether the galvanic response of the two metals was the cause of the shift.
"Galvanic Response" learned that word on benchrest central. I think it means that two similar metals under compression will bond if corroded. I think it is a real and not a myth, but probably not of much consequence. If you went out and checked your drop chart with newly loaded rounds and didnt confirm it for a year, could this reaction cause an impact shift when you shoot the bullets a year later? I do not know the answer, but do know that inconsistant neck tension can cause groups to suffer. That is basically what would happen if you mixed last years rounds with this years fresh reloads, the neck tension will differ.
Based on the bit of research that I have done I do not think that "cold welding" between the bullet and case would be dangerous, but do think that if you mixed old rounds with new rounds it may cause some slight accuracy problems. Maybe someone could determine if this is a real concern by shooting some old reloads with some fresh ones using matching lot numbered componants. I havent shot much at 1k, but they say that extended range everything comes into play, could this be one of those things?

Last edited:
I've read two posts recently where individuals talked about lubing the inside of their case necks to help minimize this possibility of the bullets bonding to their case necks. This done in the effort to improve the consistency of their case neck tension. The more interesting procedure I read about was the use of an HB grade pencil from an art supply store. The individual coated the inside of his case necks with the pencil, and claimed the graphite in the pencil helped to ease the force required to seat the bullets but more importantly, provided more consistent neck tension. I've been considering using this method since it seems pain free, non messy, fast, and cheap. But I don't know if it would make a knat's *** difference or not.

I will tell you this the pencil idea is a bad one. "why", sounds logical? The problem is what will the pencil marking do, It will hot spot which will harden the case faster thus shortening the useful life you can get out of your case. Ok, now before you all freak out on me the pencil lead is not designed to handle the extreme heat from the powder "burning at it greatest temperature, right there at the neck" If you don't believe me ask any aircraft mechanic why you don't mark on exhaust or on turbine engines with a pencil this can cause engine failure believe it or not.

About the metals corrosion, you need the two dissimuliar metals and an electrolyte for metal to corrode. Electrolyte such as water. If you don't have wet ammunition it isn't likely to corrode.

The original question was about welding, no! the bullet does not weld its self into the case. If there is water around, then it can corrode to a point that the corrosion will lock together like vel-cro.
Does the bullet kind of stick? Sure it can when a bullet sets in a case you have two different metals against each other with an interference fit they expand and contract at different rates over time. As most people know some metals heat up and cool off faster than others which make them expand and contract at different rates. This is why there is a stick, so to speak.
Does it effect accuracy? Possibly if the tension is no longer uniform but if the tension is uniform why would it?
Well thats my two cents worth of'course I think I'm right. haha

Rh

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Before anything else, folks in Washington ought to be asking first and foremost, 'Should government be doing this? And if so, then at what level of government?' But they don't. The result has been decades of growth in the size, scope and function of national government. Today's governance of mandates, pre-emptions, regulations and federal programs bears little resemblance to the balanced system the Framers intended... A government powerful enough to give you everything can take away from you, anything. Our government must be limited by the powers delegated to it by the Constitution.
-- Fred D. Thompson

Lubing case necks - graphite

Hey, I found the original post I referenced on the use of graphite sticks (art pencils) to lube the inside of the case mouth and provide it here. FWIW....

phorwath

"I have for about 35 years, I find on a fired case that I only neck size it will promote even neck tention. In my case with about 75 different calibers that I load it does improve my groups. I used graphite sticks that are sold in art supply stores, I like the HB or softer. I turn the case and get an even coat in the neck. It does not degrade the powder in the least. I have some ammo that loaded this way that is thirty years old and I used it to break in a new barrel last fall before hunting season. It shot all into the same hole as it did in the other rifle."

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.