Case trimmer- what to buy and not to buy

Vol1975

looking to purchase a case trimmer and looking to see what the general consensus is on what people suggest on using and what to stay away from.
I like the Henderson precision case trimmer aspect but not the price. If it was priced ok I would seriously consider but for the avg guy it's just heavily priced.
I reload fairly heavy but not to the point of people who shoot on a completion level.

Simplicity for use, consistence, and something that will last, along with something that possibly has the ability to do all that is needed on the case would be a must if possible.

Any thoughts and opinions would be good.
Thanks
If this has been talked about lately— forgive

I've used the Forster case trimmer and the Lyman case trimmers (with appropriate caliber pilots) and they frustrate the hell out of me. It seems no matter how tight I set the screw to hold a certain trim length, they invariably start cutting cases shorter and shorter. I'm sure it's "me" but I gave up on THAT method.

For me, I now like the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud setup.
upload_2019-6-8_11-1-17.png

I own one for each cartridge I reload for (they are cheap; about $7) and I just chuck it up in my cordless drill and trim every deprimed case to EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH every time. It works for me.

You buy the CUTTER & LOCK STUD once and use these two parts over and over:
upload_2019-6-8_11-7-0.png

Then you buy the shellholder and case length gauge for each cartridge you'll be reloading:
upload_2019-6-8_11-11-29.png

Since this is a LONG RANGE forum, many folks on here are long range target shooters and like to let their cases 'grow' a bit, so the LEE system isn't for them. But since you aren't doing the long range target 'thing', the LEE system could be just the ticket for you. I've used it for years and really like the simplicity and consistency.

L.E. Wilson is my favorite I have used. You do have to chamfer and debur with a different tool though.

Drawbacks- you need a vice, and you need a collet for each cartridge family you want to load.

Benefits- very repeatable, easy to clean, easy to stow away and it cuts the mouth absolutely perpendicular to the base.

I have run 5000+ cases over mine and haven't seen any issues. they also have a power adapter so you can hook it up to a drill.

Attachments

• E6519069-60E0-4784-A21D-2AF8131A14B2.jpeg
    E6519069-60E0-4784-A21D-2AF8131A14B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 488
Last edited:
I've used the Forster case trimmer and the Lyman case trimmers (with appropriate caliber pilots) and they frustrate the hell out of me. It seems no matter how tight I set the screw to hold a certain trim length, they invariably start cutting cases shorter and shorter. I'm sure it's "me" but I gave up on THAT method.

For me, I now like the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud setup.
View attachment 137070
I own one for each cartridge I reload for (they are cheap; about $7) and I just chuck it up in my cordless drill and trim every deprimed case to EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH every time. It works for me.

You buy the CUTTER & LOCK STUD once and use these two parts over and over:
View attachment 137071
Then you buy the shellholder and case length gauge for each cartridge you'll be reloading:
View attachment 137072

Since this is a LONG RANGE forum, many folks on here are long range target shooters and like to let their cases 'grow' a bit, so the LEE system isn't for them. But since you aren't doing the long range target 'thing', the LEE system could be just the ticket for you. I've used it for years and really like the simplicity and consistency.
Get Frog's stuff above. Then get one of the Lee 3 jaw chucks that fit all case heads and use it on a power drill. Chuck has a few bad reviews on Midway, but pay them no mind, some folks are just idiots...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ase-trimmer-universal-3-jaw-chuck-case-holder
Also get the ball grip.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012823285/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-with-ball-grip
How to use it:

so most of these mentioned trim the case concentric to the base. If there is any wobble they will cut the neck uneven. The Wilson lines everything up with the centerline of the case by using collets holding the case body, rather than the rim. Just a little food for thought.

so most of these mentioned trim the case concentric to the base. If there is any wobble they will cut the neck uneven. The Wilson lines everything up with the centerline of the case by using collets holding the case body, rather than the rim. Just a little food for thought.
The Lee trimmers above cut square to the neck. The cutter is on a long mandrel that fits in the neck of the case and flash hole. So the case is center lined like the Wilson and cuts very square.

10/4 on all above. I'm reading all of these post very closely. I know that this will help myself along with others in the future. Great reviews from everybody thus far. Please keep the reviews coming. Post like these being well informed is very nice and helpful. Thanks all thus far.

If you can drop some coin a Giraud power case trimmer. If you're on a budget I like the Lee $7 trimmers.

The Lee trimmers above cut square to the neck. The cutter is on a long mandrel that fits in the neck of the case and flash hole. So the case is center lined like the Wilson and cuts very square.

Have you ever run into issues if the flash holes are off-kilter? I have never used the lee one but i think I am buying one for the 25-06 to try out. For $8 it's definitely worth it.

Have you ever run into issues if the flash holes are off-kilter? I have never used the lee one but i think I am buying one for the 25-06 to try out. For $8 it's definitely worth it.
No not really. About the only brass I use that has off center flash holes are some cheap 223 brass, but it has been a while since I loaded them, so cannot say or use. I do have a 25-06 that I use the lee trimmer on with Winchester and Federal brass and never had a problem.
One thing about the Lee trimmer is it is setup to trim to SAAMI +/- .001 or so. If you have new cases with short necks below SAAMI, it might not trim any off of them for a few firings... You can adjust the trimmer shaft/mandrel though by filing a little bit off of the section that fits thru the flash hole. That way you can trim to whatever length you want. It can be made to trim less and make necks longer by turning the shaft off of the cutter a bit. Nothing you want to be doing on a daily basis however. And it depends on how thick the case heads are if there is enough room to adjust.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.